Talk

Advanced search

OK, after parents evening I need to help ds with his writing - any advice?

(7 Posts)
DrNortherner Wed 22-Oct-08 18:50:20

He is 6 and in Yr 2.

He finds handwriting hard, which of course impacts on erevrything else. He needs help with the correct letter formation.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks smile

tortoiseshellWasMusicaYearsAgo Wed 22-Oct-08 18:53:17

Yr2 boys NOTORIOUSLY find writing hard! Things that I found helped ds1 (who did find handwriting in particular hard, but ended up with 2a in Y2 SATS, but more importantly now loves writing;)

LOTS of colouring in of CBeebies printables - see how neatly he could do them

Wizard Whimstaff handwriting book

The real killer idea was to staple about 5 pieces of A4 blank paper together, rule about 6 lines on the top of each piece, then he wrote his own books, with an illustration underneath each page of writing. This really inspired him to write more, and he wrote quite a few 'books'.

Do the same with the paper, but divide into columns and get him to write a 'newspaper'.

Elk Wed 22-Oct-08 19:12:34

There is a writing program called 'Write from the start which I think a few people have recommended on other threads. Amazon don't have it at the moment.

DrNortherner Wed 22-Oct-08 20:38:32

Thanks guys, wil check these things out.

Prufrock Wed 22-Oct-08 20:39:52

google jardotty - it's a font you can download that's dots, so he can write stuff on the computer with your help, and then trace it to practice his writing skills.

Sawyer64 Wed 22-Oct-08 20:46:10

My DS had problems,he is also left handed,so this added to the problem.

I used the Letts Handwriting Books with him,also gave him two sentences to write out each evening,and my parents "played restaurants" with him,where he was the waiter and had to write down their orders on a writing pad.

Over the year his handwriting vastly improved.Alot of the problem was that he started the letter in the wrong place,so this meant it wouldn't "join" the next one properly or neatly.The books showed him where to start them properly.

DS is now 12,i wouldn't say he has the neatest/nicest writing,but is level with his classmates now.

DrNortherner Thu 23-Oct-08 10:44:45

Jatdotty sounds good, thanks prufrock.

Sawyer - my ds has the exact same difficulty he is not forming his letters correctly and starting/ending in the wrong place.

He has never enjoyed even colouring in so I think we need to work on his fine motor skills.

Thing is, he hates it with a passion, getting him to do it at home is a battle.....like the idea of playing restauarnts though....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now