Talk

Advanced search

DS2's teacher is monitoring him for dylexia - should I be worried?

(7 Posts)
DoubleBluff Wed 22-Oct-08 17:40:25

DS2 is 5 and left handed.
He is in the 2nd group - from top in yr 1 and teacher says he is bright.
However he 'mirror - writes' a lot esp his name and cannot see that this is incorrect.
He also struggles to put letters together in the right order to form words.
His teacher doesn't want to diagnose him yet, but 'keep an eye'

I have no experience of Dyslexia.
How can I help him with his writng.
And are there other signs I should be looking out for?
Thanks xx

MrsWeasley Wed 22-Oct-08 17:47:17

I wouldnt be worried about the test.
If they find he has it they will make sure systems are put in place to assist him with his work.

If he needs the extra help its better to find out now rather than later when he is tired of always struggling IME.

It will be fine.

DoubleBluff Wed 22-Oct-08 17:57:27

Thanks Mrs Weasley
I don't wnat him to have to struggle.
DS1 is very academic, and am woried DS2 will feel that he is not .

WhizzzingAroundOnABroomstick Wed 22-Oct-08 18:02:49

Just think of it in the sense of he is bright but learns in a different way to others. If the teacher is keeping an eye on his progress that's brilliant & there are loads of things that can be done to help.

sunnydelight Thu 23-Oct-08 11:37:15

Can he sequence? (days of the week, months of the year etc.), can he follow a string of instructions, or if you ask him to do a couple of things does he never seem to get past the first? Does he seem abnormally tired at the end of a school day? (the level of concentration required by a dyslexic kid to try and keep up with their peers can be huge).

As the mother of two dyslexic boys those were the things I was looking at with DD (who hopefully is not) rather than the reversal stuff. It's always good that a school is keeping an eye on things though, early intervention makes a huge difference.

Peachy Thu 23-Oct-08 11:39:55

Agree with SunnyD; two of mine are thought to be dyslexic and its not the case that reversals etc are dyslexias in stand alone, its more wide reaching.

reversal i itself is quite common in 5 year old boys I believe

DoubleBluff Fri 24-Oct-08 12:49:01

I noticed at karate he struggles with multiple instructions, he can do days of the week with prompting but if i then ask him to repeat it back he struggles.

I am lucky to have a family friend who is a SENC so I will be contacting her for some advice too.
Thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: