Talk

Advanced search

ARE THE MUMS IN THE SCHOOL YARD AS BAD AS YOU THOUGHT?

(36 Posts)
hifi Wed 22-Oct-08 11:32:29

after reading numerous posts on here before dd started reception i was dreading it.most seem friendly, its quite a relief.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 22-Oct-08 11:33:57

Yes but then I Don't think my face fits in dd1's school they are very posh. I'm not posh. I'd rather be warm and dry than have fancy leather coats and skirt/boot combo's

ProfYaffle Wed 22-Oct-08 11:35:40

Same as you hifi, I'm quite enjoying the social side of it.

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 22-Oct-08 11:37:25

I think it is just like being back at school. There are the beautiful people who act like you should be appreciative that they have come to talk to you, there are the hyper confident in their own skin and wear what they like and they are very happy withit. and then there is the group that i will admit to being part of.. those in the middle, we float somewhere in the middle

I wish I didn't care if the beautiful people liked me or not.. But yesterday in the playground the way one lady spoke to me made me want to cry and run home

filz Wed 22-Oct-08 11:38:13

v mixed
have made some nice friends and encoutered some right bitches

hope this answers your question

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 22-Oct-08 11:38:50

just realised how pathetic that post makes me sound!

MamaG Wed 22-Oct-08 11:40:07

Mine is fine, but it is a v small school (one class per year) which may make it different. Plus I'm very thick skinned grin

Jazzicatz Wed 22-Oct-08 11:41:49

My ds goes to a prep school and I spent the reception year virtually in tears every pick up because of the mums - this year don't give a shit and turn up in jogging bottoms and hair a mess grin

TskullsScreaming Wed 22-Oct-08 11:41:53

Ours are nice. Well they seem ok in all the years I've seen them. I don't stop for long.

I think people expect too much from this school gate malarky.

hifi Wed 22-Oct-08 11:43:41

i didnt expect much, just hoped people would be civil.

chocolateteapot Wed 22-Oct-08 11:46:45

The lot at DS's school are lovely, much better than the previous lot at DD's old school. I have noticed a big difference.

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 22-Oct-08 11:47:33

I didn't expect much - yesterday the lady concerned was talking about a group of us going to a sale that was going to take place in a nearby town and she looked me straight in the eye and said - you know I wasn't talking about you coming with us don't you.

nolongeraworriedmummy Wed 22-Oct-08 11:47:50

Its about as bad as I thought, BTPOG I agree totally with your post. DDs new school is slightly better but the last one was awful, no one talked to anyone other than their own little exsisting groups and there were regulary physical fights.

mooog Wed 22-Oct-08 11:53:06

greyskull... the bitch obviously feels threatened by your beauty and intelligence

mabanana Wed 22-Oct-08 11:54:30

There are lots of lovely people...but I have to confess I often find it really intimidating and don't enjoy the whole 'will anyone speak to me, who should I talk to' feeling I get.

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 22-Oct-08 11:58:11

of course Mooog...
thanks smile

hifi Wed 22-Oct-08 12:17:55

thats really bitchy greyskull, please say you had a suitable reply.

girlsnightout Wed 22-Oct-08 12:18:49

DS goes to a school where most people in the area are very well off. My attitude is DS goes to school to be educated, I'm not there to make 'friends' with anyone so I don't make a point of hanging around the school gates in the vain hope that somebody might come over and talk to me, most of them seem so up themselves. We live outside the catchment area and I know this doesn't go down well with some people - but I don't give a toss as DS is happy and doing well and that is all that matters.

littlestrawberry Wed 22-Oct-08 12:39:06

Ouch greyskull, that so bitchyshock

I still find the whole thing intimidating, still get blanked by alot o people and I've been seeing the same mums everday for well over a year now. This includes the snotty cow mum of the boy ds1 plays with the most.

There are some really nice mums but generally I don't feel like I fit in and I don't know why.

childrenofthecornsilk Wed 22-Oct-08 12:42:42

Greyskull - what a cow!

childrenofthecornsilk Wed 22-Oct-08 12:44:01

I talk to ds's friends mums. Some I get on better with than others but they all will chat with you if you hang around long enough!

carmenelectra Wed 22-Oct-08 12:44:40

iM LIKE YOU STRAWBEERY, my ds is year 5 and i still get blanked. There are a few nice ones but generally i satnd alone in the playground(suits me fine!). The odd one will say hello if i come face-to-face with them but if i see them out and about it makes me laugh cos they act like they have never seen me before!

Thomcat Wed 22-Oct-08 12:46:52

I've met some great mums and 2.5 years down the line we are all good friends, make the effort to get together out of school with and without kids. Organise things in summer hols, organise mums nights out at xms, go out with and buy presents for each others birthdays, esp those turning 40. We have each others kids round for tea, et cetc etc.
I'm talking a group of about 16 or so of us. Some are more friendly with some than others but if I was organising a night out there would be 16 mums, at least, athat I'd invite out. Others would be welcome but they seem to have their own groups and haven't accepted invitations but are always very chatty and smiley in playground.

dilemma456 Wed 22-Oct-08 14:34:03

Message withdrawn

dilemma456 Wed 22-Oct-08 14:35:12

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now