Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ok its 6 months since the reports came out (end of year 3) and I am still cross about something -warning precious and possibly a bit petty

(18 Posts)
Eniddo Tue 21-Oct-08 11:23:51

but its too late to say anything now and not sure whether I am being pathetic

They get marked 3 (achieving above the expected for the age group)
2 (I think with a b c within - where 2b is average - achieving what is expected)

or 1 (not achieving what expected)

dd1 represented her school at local athletics meets and came second in sprints and long jump, went on to next stage but didnt qualify

she got a '2' in her report for athletics

I think it should have been a 3!!!! and so did dd1 she was a bit gutted.

Geepers Tue 21-Oct-08 11:27:26

you aren't being pathetic because it obviously bothers you. When we have high expectations for our children it's always going to be hard to accept that maybe someone else doesn't think they are quite as wonderful/talented/funny or whatever as we do.

That said, does it really matter? You think she's great, she enjoys it, so what difference does a number make anyway?

lljkk Tue 21-Oct-08 11:30:43

2b is end of yr average for Yr2, not 3, no??

Does her athletics marks reflect attitude/effort as well as attainment?

For instance, DD gets lower teacher-marks than DS, even though DD probably gets higher SAT type results, because DD could do much better if she tried, she gets bored and larks about instead... DS moans, but he does put more effort in, so gets higher marks overall.

Eniddo Tue 21-Oct-08 11:31:18

well how good to you have to be to get a 3 fgs

it does bother me as she is average or below in everything else and is aware that this is a real strength of hers

but yes you are right I know it does not really matter

Eniddo Tue 21-Oct-08 11:31:49

no this was end of year 3 - not sats but teacher/school marks

ranting Tue 21-Oct-08 11:36:30

Ok, forgive me for asking this but, do you perhaps sense that the teacher isn't a huge fan of your dd and this is why it bugs you?

Yes I know that teachers aren't supposed to have favourites but, they're only human and everybody knows they do, only I wonder why it still annoys you so much.

WigWamBam Tue 21-Oct-08 11:36:44

There are some subjects at dd's old infants school which they don't assess at level 3, only at level 2. They don't submit any children for level 3 assessment in the writing part of their literacy, for example, because they don't want to pressurise them into starting joined-up writing at the Y2 stage. They don't assess them at all for PE, games or athletics.

Maybe your school does something like that, and level 2 is the highest they assess them to?

ingles2 Tue 21-Oct-08 11:36:59

I think she probably should have got a 3 Enid at the end of yr 3.
I don't know because we have never been given a mark for sport, but I'd assume then (maybe incorrectly but hey...) that your dd's 2 was the best mark she gave and therefore she is still very very good. smile

Grammaticus Tue 21-Oct-08 11:37:13

It is too late to say anything, I agree. But I think you still have the opportunity to remind DD that you think the athletics is a strength of hers and that she did really well and will do next year (assuming it's not athletics season now)

It's a life lesson I think - not everyone outside the home appreciates us but our family always will.

WigWamBam Tue 21-Oct-08 11:37:50

Ah, Y3. Scratch my last post then.

Ask them. It won't hurt and it might put your mind at rest.

muppetgirl Tue 21-Oct-08 11:38:06

at first I was going to say that a child of mine I taught was apparently having singing lessons and the parents were being told their daughter had the most amazing singing voice and disagreed with me when I didn't think she had. I had to remind the parents that unless she demonstrated her skill I couldn't assess her for it. (She never sang at school even in music lessons)

BUT your dd has represented the school in athletics so she must have demonstrated her skills and that they were a high enough level to have been picked over others.

Eniddo Tue 21-Oct-08 11:38:52

yy and they kept on at me abotu how talented she was

mabanana Tue 21-Oct-08 11:41:17

Yes, mention it (without sounding too mad grin) - sounds like your dd did deserve a higher grade, and it would have been lovely for her confidence across the board, which would help her in all subjects.

mabanana Tue 21-Oct-08 11:41:36

Yes, mention it (without sounding too mad grin) - sounds like your dd did deserve a higher grade, and it would have been lovely for her confidence across the board, which would help her in all subjects.

ingles2 Tue 21-Oct-08 11:41:45

It must be that 2 was the highest they could give then.

childrenofthecornsilk Tue 21-Oct-08 11:44:19

You get grades in P.E? Wow!

tortoiseshellWasMusicaYearsAgo Tue 21-Oct-08 11:46:45

Yes it would bug me a lot!

Eniddo Tue 21-Oct-08 12:04:52

impossible to ask now

not sure how the 'grading' is done whether it is done to a national scale in which case yes she may not be all that, or a school scale

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now