Talk

Advanced search

Arrrgghhh...FFS its starting again. DS3 cried at school today and just said "mum, I don't wantto go to school tomorrow". I KNOW everything is fine at school. ARrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Help me out please. I'll end up screaming blue murder every morning otherwise..

(20 Posts)
ladytophamhatt Mon 20-Oct-08 17:15:50

So for the long title.

We had this every day with ds1.

EVERY SINGLE DAY UNTIL HE WAS 6.

FFS.
It drove me insane.

There is nothing wrong at school. Ds3 is popular. Loves his teacher. The class is great. The children are all great...

He cried everyday at nursery for the last 3 months too.

He needs some sympathy but I've run out of it. Call me an awful mother if you want but I'm just being thruthful.

Gah...the thought of having this every day all over again makes me want to cry.

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Mon 20-Oct-08 17:32:12

lots and lots and LOTS of sympathy.

I did this......with DD2, and DD3, AND DS2<<sob>>

the teachers were very good (well, bar the very unsympathetic reception teacher for DD2angry), which was very helpful, but it was still hard.

I did plan lots of 'me-time' at waterstones coffee shop to help once DS2 was in school.....kind of got me thro itwink.

lljkk Mon 20-Oct-08 17:45:57

Lately DS1 often comes out of school on a tirade about how much he hates it. Extended ranting about almost everything. It's been stressing me out hugely, there's no reason. He's not too bright, he's not bullied, he's got decent teachers.

Sooooo....
Today he was off sick, and moaned because it meant he'd be missing some fun times-tables exercise in Monday maths lesson.

I have come to the conclusion that some children are just MOANers(!!)

ladytophamhatt Mon 20-Oct-08 17:56:03

Yep, lljkk that would be Ds3!

Honestly the thought of going through this all again horrifies me.

what can i do to nip it in the bud?

I'm afraid i've already said its too bad, he has to go to school, its the LAW.
Not exactly sympathetic of me....

lljkk Mon 20-Oct-08 18:02:02

OOh, don't let the rabid home-edders read that (about the Law, I mean).

With DS1, parents' evening I mentioned his tirades and said that anything they could do to allow DS1 to be creative (he hates monotony) would help improve his attitude. Last week DS1 got chosen (one of only 3 children) to do some painting the other day and he was very pleased (that day, at least).

ladytophamhatt Mon 20-Oct-08 18:07:20

grin
it is the law that he is being educated and even he isn't mad enough to suggest I do it at home.

Neither of us would come out of it alive!

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Mon 20-Oct-08 18:09:13

oh i got this every morning last year with ds2. Screams, fits even. Drove me demented.

Threats and bribery got me through. Not condoning either, just what enabled me to get him out the door.

gagarin Mon 20-Oct-08 18:11:13

call his bluff?

Next time he says it say ok?

But between 9-3

no tv/computer/games
no chats
no toys except school work you set him (you know - those horrid workbooks from WHSmiths)
his most hated food for dinner

He prob thinks everyday at home would be like the weekend.

CarGirl Mon 20-Oct-08 18:17:45

Reward chart for no crying etc etc I think for some of them it just becomes a habit.

nolongeraworriedmummy Mon 20-Oct-08 18:34:13

I think some kids just dont take to school and find it very tiring, you cant do anything though but stick him in his uniform and take him to school, ignore the screaming and the pleading and the crying,

You have my sympathies

ladytophamhatt Mon 20-Oct-08 18:35:00

reward charts never work in this house.

i end up shredding them in nager because it takes so much nagging to get them to stick to it.

Twiglett Mon 20-Oct-08 18:36:06

Try "Tough, you're going. It's the law. Get used to it!"

ladytophamhatt Mon 20-Oct-08 18:38:10

see my post at 17:56 Twig.
grin

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Mon 20-Oct-08 18:38:34

I even resorted to the following:

It is against the law for children not to go to school. If you don't go the garda will come and arrest you and take you off to bold boy school where the other bold boys will beat you up.

ladytophamhatt Mon 20-Oct-08 18:41:24

Yes Kerry, I added that me or daddy with get sent to prison if we don't take him to school.

Seeee, no sympathy at all.

God.
I can't go through this again......

Twiglett Mon 20-Oct-08 18:42:20

did you do it with a suitably affected air of boredom? grin

it's the right approach you just have to stick to it as he might try to get your sympathy by being generally foul

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Mon 20-Oct-08 18:42:26

i know it's dire.

DecayingDisaster Mon 20-Oct-08 18:47:05

i feel your pain.
DD2 did this. cried every single drpping off day until yr 2.
then stopped
then last year yr5 go worse and worse. utterly school phobic. dragged her in screaming every day. although she has had other health stuff going on which didn't help.
got slightly better with a structured handover to teacher in the library during last term
This term yr6 she has gone in willingly (if a little moaningly) every da.
am buying her a huge reward at the end of next week.

onwardandupward Mon 20-Oct-08 21:58:15

[slinks away foaming rabidly at the mouth]

lljkk Tue 21-Oct-08 11:36:24

Reward chart shredding by parent, lol!!!

Have you tried appealing to their materialistic nature? "Do you want to be rich when you grow up and be able to buy all the things you'd like to own? Those £300 items in the Argos catalog you keep telling me about? Then go to school and work hard so later you can get a good degree and a well-paid job!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now