Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DD keeps forgetting her key words - is this normal or should I be worried?

(4 Posts)
oneplusone Wed 15-Oct-08 20:58:15

DD (Yr1, just 5, August baby) has had a list of key words since reception. I didn't really spend much time with her helping her to learn them whilst she was in reception but I have been spending some time with her now she is in year 1. She is fine with the words she can 'sound out' and other easy words. However some of the harder words she simply has to remember as they can't be sounded out and she seems to have real problems remembering them from one day to the next.

Is this normal? Can i do anything to help her remember? I am at a loss how to help her and am worried that she won't progress if she simply can't remember words that she needs to.

TIA

MollieO Wed 15-Oct-08 21:08:25

Can't you make up cards and stick them around the house so that she sees them every day?

No idea if not remembering is normal or not as my ds is only in reception.

Flum Wed 15-Oct-08 21:11:15

Mine always seem to forget everything when they are tired or not in the mood.

I think repetition is the best way to remember them....

oneplusone Wed 15-Oct-08 21:14:20

Thanks, I was also thinking of putting the words up on cards around the house. Will give it a go.

I do think tiredness is part of it but I am worried she simply seems unable to remember even one word.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now