Talk

Advanced search

Should I be concerned that DS2's YR1 teacher greeted him with the words "hello trouble" this morning?

(19 Posts)
sameagain Wed 15-Oct-08 10:12:19

She's an older lady, recently qualified as a teacher after years of volunteering with different kids groups - she helped with Brownies when I was one!! So, she's been used to being every child's favourite auntie, IFYSWIM. She obviously meant it affectionately and DS2 is one of those mischievous children who tends to get away with things because he has a wining smile but....? Twice in the last 2 weeks she has made a point of telling me how pleased she's been with him that day i.e shouting it across the playground, which I also find a bit uncomfortable TBH.

blinks Wed 15-Oct-08 10:16:51

no biggie...don't sweat it.

nailpolish Wed 15-Oct-08 10:18:26

id be a bit annoyed actually

mabanana Wed 15-Oct-08 10:19:24

It really wouldn't bother me at all. She sounds lovely.

livinginadreamworld Wed 15-Oct-08 10:22:01

i regularly great my charges/pupils with 'hey/hiya trouble.'

It is meant as a term of affection, if they actually are TROUBLE they get no such treatment.

I really wouldnt worry about it!

edam Wed 15-Oct-08 10:24:33

Don't worry, as long as he's not the only one and he knows it's a term of affection rather than an accurate description of his entire personality!

Jux Wed 15-Oct-08 10:30:06

No - it's a sign of affection. I'd be happy my dd's teacher felt their relationship was easy enough for her to say it. (In fact, dd's teacher of yrs 1 and 2, did say that sort of thing - they got on like a house on fire.)

Cappuccino Wed 15-Oct-08 10:31:21

dd's teacher called her a 'nana' (like banana) yesterday in front of me

should I campaign for her to be sacked? hmm

Blackduck Wed 15-Oct-08 10:34:37

Ds's teacher called him 'biscuit' - should I be worried grin

MollieO Wed 15-Oct-08 10:46:38

Bd no, not unless she tries to dunk him in her cup of tea!

Blackduck Wed 15-Oct-08 10:51:00

May be it depends what kind of biscuit he is grin

cory Thu 16-Oct-08 08:41:12

Lots of people use this as an affectionate term to any child, it's not a comment on his behaviour.

seeker Thu 16-Oct-08 08:48:54

My ds went into the class yesterday and his music teacher was the supply teacher. He 9the teacher) staggered back dramatically and groaned "Oh nooooo - please tell me it's not you, it's your identical twin!" Ds thought it was the funniest thing ever!

chapeloffearstickchick Thu 16-Oct-08 09:03:25

I think it was an innocent comment tbh no great shakes-my middle son is always climbing and getting into scrapes when hes not poorly sad and i often call him 'monkey boy' (hes 13 lol) my other sons get called it too - a little boy i was looking after in the holidays said to his mum ' dee doesnt call me monkey boy and i wish she would' he knew it was a term of endearment nd now hes an honorary monkey boy too grin

ChopsTheDuck Thu 16-Oct-08 09:07:09

aww I think it is sweet. Why is it these days everything has to be so dry and professional? THe teacher sounds lovely.

fircone Thu 16-Oct-08 09:09:21

You should be so lucky.

Dd's teacher greets her with "Hello grumpy." Needless to say I'm not looking forward to parents' evening...

RubberDuck Thu 16-Oct-08 09:10:41

Heh, I regularly call my two "trouble" and "monster" as terms of affection (well, okay, sometimes it's through gritted teeth grin). They (mostly) don't live up to the label and giggle when I call them it wink

I'd have no worries if I heard a teacher saying it to ds2 in particular who sounds very similar to your ds2 - cheeky winning smile means he gets away with a lot. Not a malicious bone in his body, but if there's mischief to be had, he's there.

Nah it's a sign of affection. I always call my dds, pesky kids or meddling kids (as in scooby doo), it's just an affectionate term.

PortAndDemon Thu 16-Oct-08 14:16:00

If it's said as a term of affection I suspect your DS is bright enough to pick up on the sentiment rather than focusing on the words. As livinginadreamworld says, if he were really trouble then she wouldn't say it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now