Talk

Advanced search

What type of spellings does your child have this week?

(19 Posts)
saz73 Thu 09-Oct-08 10:39:12

My yr 4 came home this week with 32 spellings including words such as revolutionary, anniversary, traditional,exceptional, occasional.

DC is struggling to read these words let alone spell them. Just wondering if this is normal or not or should I speak to the school?

Madsometimes Thu 09-Oct-08 10:42:25

I think these spellings are just about OK for year 4, but there should only be 5-7 of them, not 32. Having said that my year 4 dd's spellings are much easier (when she gets them, about once a year).

Nicky1313 Thu 09-Oct-08 10:44:13

That sounds bazzar for a 4 year old, my 6 year old is struggling with her spellings but they words like Length, Width, centimetere and she really struggling with them, Weird sittuation is that she is in year 2 with my son who is in year 4 and they getting the same spellings???? How strange is that?

stealthsquiggle Thu 09-Oct-08 10:44:56

32 spellings?

shock

DS gets 12 a week (extension work - most of class get 10, one group get 12, one get 8 (I think))

Seeing as he is Y2 and we are on phantom and photograph I can see Y4 being things like you mention - but not 32 at a time!

saz73 Thu 09-Oct-08 10:45:19

32 is just one week and there's a test on tuesday. it's normally a min of 15/20 each week followed by a test a week later. but on the test they only get asked to spell 10 of them.

saz73 Thu 09-Oct-08 10:46:37

oh and forgot to mention she is a slow learner and is therefore gets assisted learning.

Mercy Thu 09-Oct-08 10:52:39

My dd is in Yr 3 and gets spellings like that - but there are only 10-12 per week.

TrinityLovesHerVampireRhino Thu 09-Oct-08 10:54:15

dd1 is 8 and in year 4 and isn't getting words like that yet and its about time she did

amess Thu 09-Oct-08 10:55:37

Year 4 spellings?!!??!?!?!? Most adults would be struggling surely maybe you should ask the teacher to spell them and then ask why your year 4 has been given them. I thought national curriculum meant everyone was doing the same thing at the same time but increasingly this seems to be false.

dd is 8 and in 3rd class (yr 4 equivilent)
she gets 15 english spellings a week and 6 Irish ones.
The English ones are waaaay easier than those. words like grandfather and icon.

Mercy Thu 09-Oct-08 11:01:55

Amess, afaik the National Curriculum means each year group will be following the same or similar subject areas but not necessarily to the same level (particularly in numeracy and literacy)

saz73 Thu 09-Oct-08 11:05:00

Thanks so it seems normal then to have them at this level. But will talk to the teacher today and just get some advice on how to help her read, understand and spell them.

TrinityLovesHerVampireRhino Thu 09-Oct-08 11:08:41

why would they be doing the same thing amess, that would be silly

Hulababy Thu 09-Oct-08 15:16:00

32?! That is a ridiculous amount to eb expected to learn. Should be small chunks of 6-8 at most surely?

And there will be many Y4 children unable to read those words, let alone spell them.

DD is in Y2 and they have a really gentle approach to spellings each week - 6 spellings, all with same letter sound in them. Nothing major, maybe the one one more trickier word in there, but again with same sound. Despite the gentle approach most of the girls are really good spellers, and it definitely doesn't affect them lower down the school.

This weeks are all ar words: arm, scarf, park, car, etc.

janinlondon Thu 09-Oct-08 15:30:36

Is there a chance the teacher is trying to stream based on the test? If there are a lot of very able spellers, this kind of test might be the only way to discriminate?

LesAnimaux Thu 09-Oct-08 15:36:11

This week, Y5;

Rosary
Decade
Mystery
Mysteries
Joyful
Sprrowful
Glorious
Light
Mary
Jesus

Can you tell it's a Catholic shcool? grin

singersgirl Thu 09-Oct-08 18:10:22

DS2, Y3, 10 spellings including:
disobedient
disqualify
disbelief
decode

DS1, Y6, 20 spellings including:
Decalogue
centenarian
decathlon
decimetre
centenary

christywhisty Thu 09-Oct-08 21:13:39

DD Yr6

16 literacy words like

Meanwhile
Henceforward
since
until
notwithstanding
alternatively
yet
and
although
then
after
with
because

mckenzie Thu 09-Oct-08 21:19:32

DS, year 3.
10 spellings including

simple
cable
vegetable
possible
terrible.

10 words each week, always with a common factor (last week it was 'ice', this week 'ble' etc etc)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now