Talk

Advanced search

Do parent helpers and people who help out in a primary school regularly (weekly) have to be checked?

(28 Posts)
Aimsmum Thu 09-Oct-08 10:14:53

Message withdrawn

SoMuchToBits Thu 09-Oct-08 10:27:32

At our school they don't carry out their own CRB check on you. However, they do insist on seeing evidence of your identity and address, and if you already have a CRB check (quite a few people at our school do, as some have had it done for beavers, cubs etc) they ask to see it.

CountessDracula Thu 09-Oct-08 10:28:18

At dd's school all helpers have to be crb checked via the school

nymphadora Thu 09-Oct-08 10:32:49

At dd2s school all are crb checked unless its just a one off (I think) cos I didn't for school trip (but I work in a school so they may have used that)

islandofsodor Thu 09-Oct-08 10:46:21

It is "best practice" for helpers to have a CRB check but not compulsory unless the helper is being left alone with any child or group of children.

HuwEdwards Thu 09-Oct-08 10:50:32

I helped out in Reception last year and am not checked, but I was never alone with any child.

singyswife Thu 09-Oct-08 10:55:45

In our school you are not allowed to help out in any way unles you are discolsure checked.

bozza Thu 09-Oct-08 11:03:51

I volunteered to help with reading at school just this week and have had to fill in the form for the CRB check. The HT will not let me start helping until the check comes back.

Apparently for one offs like school trips where they are not alone with the children just responsible for a group there is a less thorough check that can be done.

Aimsmum Thu 09-Oct-08 11:16:50

Message withdrawn

nix66 Thu 09-Oct-08 11:23:45

In DD's school anyone who is in contact with the kids has to be CRB checked. The school pay (I think hmm ) and provide the forms etc and then take a copy when you receive it back from the Police. We also have to do a health and safety course and sign a form when finished.

Also we have a meeting with the head to discuss how things are done and how we can help with whatever we have offered eg reading, art, cooking etc... quite complex, but I'm glad that there are so many measures and I feel my dd is in a safe environment. smile

Shitehawk Thu 09-Oct-08 11:27:22

I haven't been checked for helping at my daughter's Junior school. I do have enhanced CRB disclosure for my job, though, otherwise I would probably pay to get one done just to cover myself.

islandofsodor Thu 09-Oct-08 11:35:54

The checks are free for volunteers there is just sometimes an admin fee to pay if an umberella body is used.

Anngeree Thu 09-Oct-08 11:40:45

I helped out in Ds's class last yr & wasn't asked to have a CRB check however I was never left alone with the children. This yr i've been asked to have a CRB check so I can read with the children 1-1 or in small groups unsupervised. I'm waiting to be given the form to complete.

Aimsmum Thu 09-Oct-08 11:57:04

Message withdrawn

nolongeraworriedmummy Thu 09-Oct-08 13:14:07

I helped out in a school unchecked but wasnt alone with children (well apart from the time I took my own child to the toilet lol) BUT I also went on a trip to a museum and was left alone with a group of 6 children.

I did actually have a disclosure for a previous teaching assistant position but they didnt know that.

Northumberlandlass Thu 09-Oct-08 13:19:57

My mum is a reading buddy at DS school and even though she was a reception teacher, she had to CRB checked again as it was different school.

Our primary school is very hot on CRB checking. When DS was in nursery last year and they wouldn't even accept afternoon helpers (they normally just file / sort toys etc) with CRB clearance.

The head did say that it costs over £30 per check.

x

pooka Thu 09-Oct-08 13:21:44

I had to be CRB checked to do reading with Reception and Yr1 children. Also for school trips.

Fair enough really.

School provided form and paid. I have a copy of the report at home, and they keep one for their records.

pippibluestocking Thu 09-Oct-08 13:22:59

do at my school

FimboGotAxed Thu 09-Oct-08 13:23:35

Ds's school will not accept anyone unless they have been CRB checked (school pays for it).

You cannot "transfer" the CRB check elsewhere. I.e. I have 2 children at different schools, so would be CRB checked twice.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 09-Oct-08 13:46:32

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Thu 09-Oct-08 15:11:15

Leagally no, not if working in close vicinity of the teachers and other CRB checked staff. If working on their own with children, without other adults around I think they are supposed to be.

I am helping a couple of days a week in DD's school as a volunteer teaching assistant. I am currently being CRB checked so I can get more involved.

I did similar, one day a week, from easter to the Summer and didn't do the CRB bit then, but was never alone with children either.

Hulababy Thu 09-Oct-08 15:12:14

And yes you have to be CRB checked for every new placement. I have a complete full disclosure CRB in place for the prison work I do, but still have to have another CRB for the school work.

Martha200 Fri 10-Oct-08 12:31:04

I am not sure, but saying that I help in a creche run by volunteer helper mums when there are assemblies, we were not CRB checked but the lady who is in 'charge' is and she takes the children to the toilet or the classroom assistant who may be helping out.

LIZS Fri 10-Oct-08 15:36:21

Ours do but technically it is only required if you may be left unsupervised. Also with vulnerable adults

ByTheSea Sat 11-Oct-08 16:48:28

All parent helpers need to be CRB checked in our school - even to go on the occasional school trip. I help out twice a week and on trips and am checked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now