Talk

Advanced search

Can someone answer a question about reading schemes for me - any teachers out there?

(11 Posts)
MyItsParkyOut Wed 08-Oct-08 18:48:07

DD has been put on Dorling Kindersley Readers ' Tale of a Tadpole' - where does this fit in line with the ORT scheme? It seems a big jump...she was on ORT stage 5.
Thanks.

MyItsParkyOut Wed 08-Oct-08 21:06:52

Last ditch boring bump.

Hulababy Wed 08-Oct-08 21:08:46

Does it have a colour banding on it?

MyItsParkyOut Wed 08-Oct-08 21:11:24

No it doesn't! It's just a random book her teacher gave when I said that dd was finding ORT 5 quite easy.

gigglewitch Wed 08-Oct-08 21:18:46

the dk books are fab imo!
would the DK website help you a bit, they put age ranges and you could search the title (there are loads in the series)
HTH

gigglewitch Wed 08-Oct-08 21:24:27

a better link It seems they band them all at 4-6yrs but i think they are in practice a bit higher, perhaps 5-8 (opinion only)

MyItsParkyOut Wed 08-Oct-08 21:27:39

Thanks. DD did enjoy it, she loves non-fiction stuff, just soaks up the information smile

gigglewitch Wed 08-Oct-08 21:54:56

have just ordered six of 'em at varying levels for my lot - good 5yo reader and dyslexic almost-8yo will both love these. wink

Hulababy Thu 09-Oct-08 15:04:36

DK Readers usually have their own levels attached to them.

They are often lovely books. DD has a few at different levels and has enjoyed them, esp the non fiction ones.

Hulababy Thu 09-Oct-08 15:07:44

Tales of a Tadpole says Level 1

Back of book states: "Beginning to read"- word repetition, limited vocab, simple sentences, picture dictionary boxes.

They are a little bit more complex than ORT L5 i would think, but many of the words are decodeable from what I remember, or they can use picture clues to work them out.

angrypixie Fri 10-Oct-08 21:16:29

I would be doing the happy dance to get a break from ORT!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now