Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My dd got hoofed in the head today by a naughty boy - is this what to expect from now on?

(11 Posts)
Howlingbellyofbeelzebub Wed 08-Oct-08 13:01:14

My dd started reception 2 weeks ago and has settled in well. Today when I picked her up at lunch-time the teacher came to tell me that dd got kicked in the head today by a boy in her class. It was tidy up time and dd made the mistake of doing what the teacher asked and actually tidying up - the boy objected to dd picking up a toy near him so booted her in the head shock. It appears they dealt with it well, comforted dd, sat boy on his own and had firm words etc and talked to class about how to behave but.. shock - is it fairly standard issue for kids to get kicked and stuff at school? my dd is not perfect and she scraps with her sister a lot but she would never just lash out and hoof someone. sad I do have issues with trusting other people to look after my dd's and this has really made me feel crap.

moodlumthehoodlum Wed 08-Oct-08 13:07:40

Generally children are nice (at least imho), but I think with reception starters there is a little bit more fisticuffs as they adapt to the changes of school and the tiredness of the first weeks of term.

It sounds like they dealt with it well though.

Howlingbellyofbeelzebub Wed 08-Oct-08 13:21:28

I think they did deal with it well and I actually asked the teacher not to tell me who is was as I didn't want to find myself disliking a little 4 year old, however dd said loudly as we were walking out of school 'look mummy, there's the boy who hurt me today'. still, onwards and upwards, school has been lovely so far and dd doesn't seem bothered.

DrNortherner Wed 08-Oct-08 13:33:43

As a mum of a boy who kicked, pushed and shoved in reception I think don't be too harsh.

School dealt with it perfectly, and your dd is OK.

Remember boys are not as mature as girls generally, and at 4 they find it hard to articulate feelings (I don't want you to tidy that toy away just yet) so they tend to lamp someone instead!

Not ideal, but it happens, and they need to learn it is wrong and not acceptable.

Howlingbellyofbeelzebub Wed 08-Oct-08 13:38:52

Thanks DrNorthener, I actually said to the the teacher that it could well me my dd for something else next week, 4 is ever so little really and they do ask a lot of them.

MollieO Wed 08-Oct-08 14:44:02

I had to have a word with my ds's teacher today about a boy in the other reception class repeatedly pushing him over. He's been coming home with bruises, grazed knees and now a grazed face since term started. The latest concerns me because he could have lost teeth and also it is always the same boy. He isn't just targeting my son but it needs dealing with. I'd assumed this was part and parcel of starting school.

I would have thought it is school policy not to tell you which child did it. At least this was the policy in my ds's school (he told me who it was).

Marne Wed 08-Oct-08 14:47:35

Dd was puched in the stomache, shut in the cloak-room and pushed over all in the first 2 weeks.

Howlingbellyofbeelzebub Wed 08-Oct-08 16:08:37

Blimey, it looks like we've got off lightly so far although dd's cheek is now sporting a lovely bruise sad.

MollieO Wed 08-Oct-08 16:25:39

I think it is all part of starting school and getting to know other children etc. I'd only be concerned if some real harm was caused and it wasn't addressed adequately by the teacher or if my ds was being picked on.

My ds tells me nothing about his school day other than who did what to whom at break time!

cory Wed 08-Oct-08 16:56:38

Well, the good news is that the school dealt with it. Tbh there seems to be nothing you could have done if you'd been there that they didn't do. And of course children can equally kick and punch each other in out-of-school hours. So unless you were going to keep your dd away from other children altogether, there is no real disadvantage for her in being at school away from you.

It would have been different if the school had dealt with it badly.

Peachy Wed 08-Oct-08 16:59:47

It seems to happen a lot and it really is just kids I think

I was amazed at the PTA today as I got the rundown of parents who are not speaking to X, Y and Z- seems like they're all at it!
All because their yr1 child fell out with a kid weeks ago...

Guaranteed the kids made it up by next playtime of course!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now