Talk

Advanced search

Is ORT Level 1 really behind the normal level for a 5.5 year old in Year 1?

(6 Posts)

Have noticed that a lot of people on here have said their LOs are on ORT Level 2 in year 1 and I'm just wondering if level 1 is really behind the average. DD1 is on ORT Level 1 and is still struggling on some books, although does well on others. I'm confused I have no idea what level she "should" be at.

PandaG Wed 08-Oct-08 11:33:41

just had a look on the ORT site here www.oup.com/oxed/pdf/ORTGuideForParents.pdf

seems that level 1 is generally reception, but this is only the start of the year. when mt DC started school I was told that the average age for learning to read was anything between 3 and 7 so do not worry, your DD will progress at her own rate

MerlinsBeard Wed 08-Oct-08 11:35:44

she should be at the level she can read, it doesn't matter what that is, be it level 1 or level 10

or did you man the average level for Y1?

DiscoDizzy Wed 08-Oct-08 11:38:00

I wouldn't worry. Children progress at all levels. DD1 is good at reading at the mo but DD2 isn't. It doesn't matter.

Niecie Wed 08-Oct-08 11:40:11

DS1 was on level 1 at the start of Yr 1 and struggling. Yes, he was a bit behind the rest of his class mates. However, don't worry about it. It is possible that reading has just not 'clicked' with your DD yet and, if my DS is anything to go by, once it does click she will be away and hopefully make rapid progress too. It isn't something to get concerned about yet, imho.

I would concentrate on the key words rather than the books, which is what helped DS, and it made all the difference.

If you want to concentrate on high frequency words here is an excellent link someone gave me yesterday with all the high frequency words on it for the first couple of years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now