Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know of a school with a Chinese garden?

(6 Posts)
emiliadaniel Tue 07-Oct-08 20:02:49

Following the sad loss of a staff member, our infant school is planning to create a Chinese garden in her memory. I'm looking for ideas and would love to hear from anyone with any practical experience. Thanks.

iheartdusty Tue 07-Oct-08 20:12:14

is it possible that a Japanese garden could be what they have in mind?

ie stones, foliage, especially ferns, maples, little or no flowers, water, rhythm and repetition in the design...

you could try the gardening topic on MN

Reallytired Tue 07-Oct-08 20:14:56

I don't know of a school with a chinese garden but the British Museum has a lovely chinese garden.

The other suggestion I can think of is to contact local special schools. In particular Severe Special School often have a garden in memory of past pupils who died. Sadly having children dying at an SLD school is very common.

emiliadaniel Tue 07-Oct-08 20:23:22

Thanks for your suggestions. It is definitely a Chinese garden that we want to make as the lady who died was Chinese herself. From what I have read so far though, I think there are quite a lot of similarities with Japanese gardens. I'll try the gardening topic and have a look as the British Museum website.

Reallytired Tue 07-Oct-08 20:44:28

China Landscape

some pictures

emiliadaniel Wed 08-Oct-08 12:10:05

Thank you, Reallytired. I think we might be having a day out to the British Museum on Sunday!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: