Advanced search

Shoouldn't they have large print?

(14 Posts)
sarah293 Fri 26-Sep-08 17:43:11

Message withdrawn

FrockHorror Fri 26-Sep-08 17:49:19

Riven, am I correct in thinking your DD goes to a specialist school for her CP? If so, you would exect any school, particularly one that is specifically for children with specific needs to have appropriate equipment for the children.

I would raise it with the SENCO or HT. Maybe some fundraising could be organised to buy books in large print? I'm not suggesting you do it, I know you are busy enough, but might it be worth suggesting to the powers that be?

sarah293 Fri 26-Sep-08 17:59:40

Message withdrawn

FrockHorror Fri 26-Sep-08 18:03:41

Ok, so sorry. I thought your DD was attending a particular school. Hope I haven't offended you Riven?

I would still mention it to the officials. I think it is probably because these resources are so expensive.

sarah293 Fri 26-Sep-08 18:14:16

Message withdrawn

hana Fri 26-Sep-08 18:14:50

of course they should be catering for this and meeting your dd's needs. even if the school doesn't have any themselves, they could be liasing with local special schools or the LEA resource centers and find suitable resources.

hana Fri 26-Sep-08 18:16:08

why against special schools? or is that too long to get into.

the children I teach THRIVE in my school (MLD/SLD secondary)

sarah293 Fri 26-Sep-08 18:19:40

Message withdrawn

Reallytired Fri 26-Sep-08 19:05:13

I think that there has to be both inclusion and special schools. For some children inclusion is a complete and utter disaster.

For example if inclusion causes a child with autism to have a severe nervous breakdown then it would be stupid to put that child in another mainstream school. Or a school refuser or a child who has been permamently excluded for bad behaviour might be better with different type of education.

Many children with severe cerabral palsy thrive in mainstream. Many people with cerabral palsy are very bright.

I work in an MLD special school and most of the children love it. However I think it would be a disaster for a bright child who is just very physically disabled. The school has to match the child.

Just thinking Riven. I expect that your daughter's school will have quite a few big books that are used for group reading. Why don't you ask if you can borrow one of those.

Nymphadora Fri 26-Sep-08 19:27:06

If she is little I can see why she would choose MS , here the younger end is very PMLD and no/limited social stimulation for the more social kids.

Does she have a VI teacher (should do)? That comes under their role , to assist the school in providing the correct resources.

sarah293 Fri 26-Sep-08 19:30:59

Message withdrawn

Blandmum Fri 26-Sep-08 19:33:54

They should be able to magnify the pictures and print on the photocopier.....there is a specific exemption under the copyright laws to allow this to happen

This is stardard procedure

Piffle Fri 26-Sep-08 19:35:39

dd gets mega support from school
She has magnifier,fluorescent light and darker lined exercise books and thick pencils.
The class teachers also attended visual impairment workshops and take ultra care with DD

Do you have a visual impairment service doing risk assessments?

What about statementing?
This would help school cover cost of enlarging
How impaired visiallly is your dd?
Sorry rushed post time limited but dd in mainstream and doing fabby, in no small part down to ultra wonderful school

RaggedRobin Fri 26-Sep-08 22:18:27

i teach visually impaired pupils. when i work with primary pupils, i try to scan their reading books rather than photocopy to enlarge so that they still have nice colourful pictures.

it also means that you can print onto A4 rather than have unwieldy A3 sheets to hold. a classroom assistant could/should (?) be trained to do this to ensure that your daughter's needs are being met.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: