Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how much homework does your 6 year old get ?

(35 Posts)
sallystrawberry Thu 25-Sep-08 21:46:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gigglewitch Thu 25-Sep-08 21:50:34

ds1 got reading from reception onwards spellings from Y2 on
DS2 is 5, technically reception but working with yr1 (5 last wk) gets a reading book / two each week and a set of flashcards to learn.

Kbear Thu 25-Sep-08 21:52:47

book every night, spellings once a week, maths sheet once a week, number bonds, word walls on continuous basis. Yr 1 that all started, and he's just in Yr 2 now and it's the same. Heaps IMO but he's progressed so much since reception and it is the repetition, especially with reading.

Hulababy Thu 25-Sep-08 21:52:48

Posted this on another thread recently:

OK. This is what we have had:

Week 1

Tue - learn 6 spellings for Thursday test
Wed - Read 6-8 pages of school reading book (DD is allowed to do more if she wants)
Thu - Make up 10 sums where the answer =10
Fri - Write 4 sentences to tell teacher all about you.

Week 2

Mon - learn 6 spellings for Thursday test
Tue - Reading
Wed - 5 addition sums, based on work done in class
Thu - Punctuate (add cap letter/full stops) to 4 sentences
Fri - Write at least 2 sentences about a parent's favourite childhood toy

Week 3

Tue - Reading
Wed - 5 subtractio sums, based on work done in class
Thu - Write about what clothes youa re going to wear on Friday's school trip, and say why you have chosen them
Fri - Draw a picture of your favourite sculpture; draw the area around it (school trip this day to local sculpture park)

So, each individual homework take 5-10 min depending on how much they chose to write on the literacy days. More than enough for a Y2 child IMO.

They are 6y, still in infant school. Homework should, at this age, by just getting used to the idea of doing homework and working independently, and to consolidate class-based learning. It should be very brief and take just minutes - at 6y childrn should have lots of time to play and relax every evening.

misselizabethbennet Thu 25-Sep-08 21:52:57

In year 2. Gets spellings each week and reading books he chooses himself from the school library.

mumblecrumble Thu 25-Sep-08 21:55:16

You are having a LAUGH!!!! I am horrified. My dd is only 1 but I can;t imagine how she will fit in tea, some family time, all theat homework then bath, bed etc.

Now I value homework. I'm a teacher. But every night?!??!?!?!

mumblecrumble Thu 25-Sep-08 21:56:01

hmmm I suppose a bit each night is better for leaning than more on one night.

I want o hear more!

Kbear Thu 25-Sep-08 21:56:19

who's having a laugh? me? nope, deadly serious

Kbear Thu 25-Sep-08 21:58:41

I hate the idea of homework in infant school really, and agree that it should be about relaxing and playing and down time BUT, if you want outstanding ofsteds and high levels in SATS you have to push and the head teacher at DS's school is pushy, oh yes. It's all about the standards. Less about the pastoral care. But DS will be moving up to juniors where it's a different school and different head and different ethos entirely.

Hulababy Thu 25-Sep-08 21:59:55

Week 4

Tue - Reading
Wed - Make up 10 sums using these numbers: 2, 3, 5, 6, 8
Thu - draw round 5 coins and write their values inside. Work out how much you have in total.
Fri - What did you enjoy most about today (school's 6th birthday)? Write about it in approx 3 sentences or draw a picture.

Hulababy Thu 25-Sep-08 22:00:35

Ooops - should say 60th birthday, not 6th!

Piffle Thu 25-Sep-08 22:00:38

reading 3 per week
10 spellings
Luckily easy for dd yr 1 as she is v v tired

Trafficcone Thu 25-Sep-08 22:01:14

Yr 1 they had reading book home each night. Spellings with 5 days practice then the test, usually about 10 words. Then a worksheet sent home Thurs to be sent back by Weds. This was to take 30mns.

Yr 2 the same as above but the spelling list was longer and there was Literacy and Maths worksheets each week.

sallystrawberry Thu 25-Sep-08 22:03:01

sallystrawberry Thu 25-Sep-08 22:05:38

Hulababy Thu 25-Sep-08 22:06:44

We no lnger have nightly reading. They read every day in school to a teacher, and just have one night a week where they have reading as homework, bring home heir school reading book and reading record book. Rest of the time they are just encouraged to read other books "for fun". Have noticed that DD has actually started to read more as a result - I guess as she gets to chose a more interesting book of their choice She will do a lot more reading to herself as well now.

sallystrawberry Thu 25-Sep-08 22:09:26

Fennel Fri 26-Sep-08 09:46:47

yr 2 in our school = reading books. that's about it.

Maybe a small, optional project once or twice a term as well if the teacher is responding to parental pressure to give homework. Teacher doesn't want to give it.

Seeline Fri 26-Sep-08 09:56:00

Yr 1 weekly home learning project which may be a number game, finding out about something relevant to that terms 'context for learning', designing a poster etc. Also reading encouraged nightly from any book of ther choice.
Yr 2 as above with the home learning project lasting over 2 weeks (although only expected to spend about 30 mins in total on it), plus weekly spellings (only 4 each week) which need to be put into sentances, but not tested.

mumblecrumble Fri 26-Sep-08 10:14:37

'Having a laugh' didn;t exactly come accros well on paper. I was not amused merely in disbelief.

Reading seem a good idea and somthing that can be enjoyed etc but maths and spellings? Just having school work to do every night sounds tragic.

My poor dd - what does she have in store for her.....?

Dottydot Fri 26-Sep-08 10:21:56

ds1 has just started in year two and he gets reading every night - we try to do about 10 pages/10 minutes.

Then spellings on Wednesday for a test every Monday - about 15 words to learn

Then a written piece of homework each week.

It's a flipping nightmare.... Doesn't sound as much as some of yours but he just hates it as his worst things are reading and writing and of course most homework is based around this.

The weeks his homework is about maths he loves it - does it in 2 minutes and there's no stress, but that doesn't happen very often!

nix66 Fri 26-Sep-08 10:46:46

My dd's got it easy then,

She has 2 reading books a week, given on a Monday returned on a Friday. A maths exercise and handwriting on a Friday to be handed in by the following Wednesday. They have "stopped" spellings and practice their individual tricky words in school...

I do like that it gives us time to read our own books over the weekend, (although I don't know what's worse.. ORT or Fairies wink) and we do 10 mins a night on maths as she enjoys it and asks to do it so who am I to argue!

DrNortherner Fri 26-Sep-08 10:49:17

Blimey, my ds is 6, in year 2 and he only gets 1 reading book a day and as parents it is reccommended we hear the read each day.

At the start of term we got a letter saying they will be getting homework on a FRi to be returned the following Tues but this hasn't statred yet.

lucykate Fri 26-Sep-08 10:49:17

2 reading books a week
10 spelling to learn mon-fri for test
1 weekend sheet

DrNortherner Fri 26-Sep-08 10:50:41

Btw I agree with mumblecrumble, school work to do every night at 6 years old is tragic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now