Talk

Advanced search

Change in behaviour since starting Reception

(7 Posts)
MollieO Thu 25-Sep-08 14:16:40

My ds started reception class this term. Outwardly he seems happy, running into class every day with a smile on his face. However his behaviour in class has changed out of all recognition to how he was at nursery. At nursery he was very well-behaved, helpful, enthusiastic. At school he is described as stubborn and uncooperative. The biggest change is in the level of ability. At nursery he knew all his letters and was reading and writing three letter words. At school he has been assessed as knowing four letters and cannot hold a pen correctly (he previously had vg pencil control). I can't understand the change and I can't understand why his teacher hasn't queried the difference between the child she has in her class and the profile his nursery sent to her. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Elibean Thu 25-Sep-08 14:25:41

shock who is labelling a brand new Reception child as 'stubborn and uncooperative'?! I can't imagine anyone not realizing what a big shift primary school is, and making room for kids to go through all sorts of behavioural stuff the first few weeks....I'm so sorry your ds is being judged that way sad.

Assuming its not her, I would think the teacher isn't querying much yet as its such early days - my dd's class isn't assessing anything yet, just working on helping the kids settle in and adjust to the routine, get to know each other, etc.

I would think its very normal for a child to 'go backwards' with regard to cognitive abilities in a new situation like this. He's probably just coping with the social changes first.

MollieO Thu 25-Sep-08 14:37:26

His teacher told me that he is stubborn and uncooperative. I was so gobsmacked by this description that I was virtually struck dumb. Any voice that I did have left me when she started talking about his letter recognition ability! At his nursery he was viewed as one of the most lovely boys they had had - his teacher was in tears when he left!

I am taking time off to pop in to the school to have a proper meeting with his teacher. I am worried that he seems to have been labelled so early and that they haven't queried why his nursery profile seems to describe a completely different child from the one in their class.

clutteredup Thu 25-Sep-08 14:38:53

If he was doing things like that at nursery it might be that he feels he is a bit too clever for reception as many of the children won't know a lot of the things he does. He might be trying to fit in with the others.
More likely he is taking a while to adjust and it is very early days. I agree with Elibean that it is extremely concerning that the words stubborn and uncoperative have been used - shy, insecure/unsure, taking a while to adjust maybe but that is labelling a child , wrong at any age, and if they carry on he will most certainly live up to their expectations.
Find out more and if necessary complain to the school - I am shock

dustystar Thu 25-Sep-08 14:41:02

Thats a good idea mollieo. I'm surprised the teacher would make such a quick judgement. Maybe she'd had a bad day when she made that comment but that's not really the point. Make a list of points you want to cover in the meeting so you don't forget anything.

MollieO Thu 25-Sep-08 14:46:43

I wrote a letter to his teacher this week about my concerns and I am having a meeting with his teacher (and the head) tomorrow. I'm pleased at the quick response and hopefully this is a blip in the start of his school life. The school has a very good reputation and I've heard good things about his teacher so all of this has taken me completely by surprise.

I have no problem if they say they are monitoring the situation and will review his ability but the labelling does worry me. It is a private school and the head is someone who inspires confidence so although I am surprised that she will be at the meeting I am also pleased she is taking an interest.

I have spoken to his nursery teacher who has been very helpful and convinced me that I'm not just being a paranoid or pushy parent!

AbbeyA Thu 25-Sep-08 16:28:59

Perhaps they are teaching in a very different way and he doesn't like it. I would find out how they spend their day-maybe it is quite formal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now