Talk

Advanced search

Dunottar School and Micklefield School, Reigate

(89 Posts)
sykes Wed 24-Sep-08 08:56:37

Does anyone have any thoughts/views etc on either/both of them? Would REALLY appreciate any thoughts.

DarrellRivers Wed 24-Sep-08 08:58:27

We used to play them at hockey when I was at school
[bumping for you]

ghosty Wed 24-Sep-08 09:00:42

I worked at Dunottar a very long time ago now, things have changed a lot so I don't know if I can help - what do you want to know?

sykes Wed 24-Sep-08 09:06:05

Thanks - have moved dds from one to the other and think I've made a mistake. NOT wanting to sound like a stupidly pushy parent but they're both finding the work at their new school very easy (and they are not massively academic). Ironically I thought their first school was rather too much of a hot house but now am worried they're just coasting. I do appreciate there are much more important things to worry but am concerned I've messed up their education.

ghosty Wed 24-Sep-08 09:12:49

Which way round was the move sykes?

ghosty Wed 24-Sep-08 09:19:20

I have just emailed my sister sykes ... she has her finger on the button with regards to schools in that area. If anyone knows anything about the details of the reputations of any Reigate schools my DSis will wink
I'll get back to you

sykes Wed 24-Sep-08 09:35:52

That would be great - thanks v much. Am being a bit cagey about which way round as don't want new school to think I'm being rude. Am a total wimp. Am hoping one is on the way up .... rather known as a bit of a soft option previously.

sykes Wed 24-Sep-08 09:56:32

????? Anyone else??? Please???

Miffyinsurrey Wed 24-Sep-08 10:30:03

My DD does not yet attend either but have visited both recently.

We liked both Schools but if choosing between the two would probably have gone for Dunottar. Liked the Head of the Junior School and the ethos of the School. It seemed quite traditional and I liked that. I imagine it would be good for music and sport. Reasonably academic I would think but there are probably more academic schools around.

I have heard mixed reports of Mickelfield. The nursery is apparently excellent and has amazing facilities. The rest of the school looked slightly limited spacewise. Imagine it is reasonably academic but not that pressurised.

I hope you will get more feedback from people with direct experience of these schools. I am only really giving my first impressions of them.

Wonder which school you have moved from/to?!

sykes Wed 24-Sep-08 12:36:39

Thanks v much. Anyone else

ReigateMum Wed 24-Sep-08 12:41:08

I have kids at one and know loads at the other.
e-mail me, and I'd be happy to chat/ e-mail

silvermum (at) yahoo DOT co DOT uk

sykes Wed 24-Sep-08 12:48:59

Thanks very much.

Mo2 Wed 24-Sep-08 12:54:10

Hi Sykes smile

I know people with kids at both.

This is my impression:
Dunnottar - all girls. Fab facilities. Has a reputation for high academics (especially in Upper School).
Depends if you like the single-sex education thing really. Certainly it turns out a good few 'pony club type girls'. No nasty boys to cause a nusiance!

Micklefield - often thought of locally as a 'quietly confident' sort of school. Quite small and family-like. Children are polite, confident, very happy, and academic achievement at 11 is excellent (high number going to RGS/ Caterham etc and girls to Dunottar)
Think the lower school is probably a bit more 'cosy' for the younger children, but then the pressure ramps up in yrs 3/4/5/6.

Interestingly my friend says they have just extended soemof their facilities inside (new dining hall etc). They don't have a pool, but have massive sports fields around the corner. I like all the children I know from there smile.

sykes Wed 24-Sep-08 13:20:26

Thanks Mo2 and hello. I do like both schools but am ridiculously indecisive and am driving my h mad with my constant faffing and wondering why I moved from one to the other. I can't really move back, well I could - but it would be ridiculous. And too disruptive. I need to shut up but thanks to everyone.

Bellie Wed 24-Sep-08 16:18:24

Hi Sykes,

Not sure which way you moved your dds, but there was obviously a driving reason that made you move them. If you are unsure about the new school, does it help to go back and think why you originally moved them?

If the reason was strong enough to give a terms notice etc, will it have changed if you want to move back?

In my experience, the schools in Reigate are much the same in terms of academic output, but across the years there is some big differences but it seems to even itself out at the end iyswim.

sykes Wed 24-Sep-08 16:49:30

Thanks, Bellie. There were reasons to move - you're right, of course, but it doesn't help that I'm terribly indecisive. I'm also usually quite level headed but seem to have turned into a lunatic when it comes to education.

Bellie Wed 24-Sep-08 16:51:40

I think it does it to us all!!

I ummed and arrged for ages over which school to put dd into, but I think the guilt over 'what if' will never go away!!

ghosty Wed 24-Sep-08 23:15:59

Hi Sykes

My sister emailed me back ... not sure I should post it here (same reasons as you) so if you want to email me: ghostyandmeg1(at)bigpond(dot)com then I can forward her email to you.
I will post her reply on here if you prefer though.
x

sykes Wed 24-Sep-08 23:27:30

Have emailed you and thanks SO much for doing this.

ghosty Thu 25-Sep-08 04:56:44

Have emailed you back sykes ...
Honestly, don't panic about this. At the end of the day, they are both good schools really smile
<<pours sykes a cup of calming tea grin>>

MatBackFeck Tue 30-Sep-08 10:22:20

Hi Reigate mumms, I am haviing a similar dilemma and was just digging around looking for your lot as Iknow there are some Reigate mums with lots of school knowledge on here when I stumbled on this post, do you mind if I join in? I would be very grateful for all the summaries/thoughts/opinions on Reigate schools. I too am getting in a right state about it. It is for my son for entry to reception next year. We are looking at both state and private. State would be ideal choice due to dps ethical standing but, for reasons I won't bore you with, we are unlikely to get into either of the ones we would like (i.e H or RP) and so are also thinking of reserving a private place as well. We were looking at RSM as I preferred it over M but don'r really know what I am looking for. For state app our 3rd choice will have to be WC I think.

All opinions and help gratefully received - I am on the verge of tears every time I look at ds1 thinking I have failed him already and we haven't even started yet!

MatBackFeck Tue 30-Sep-08 10:23:54

mums and you lot! Can barely type now!

MatBackFeck Tue 30-Sep-08 14:11:30

bumping for the afternoon - ghosty and reigatemum is it allright if I email you too?

MatBackFeck Tue 30-Sep-08 20:02:04

bump

LIZS Tue 30-Sep-08 20:27:18

only just seen this. tbh we've been put of Dunottar having recently met the head but that was for secondary - it sounded a bit too like my old school ! Having said that I know of old girls who have sent their dd's there so can't be bad. Micklefield comes across as a bit limited in terms of facilities, space and being such a small school especially for sports, I know of some who have made the switch because it didn't really suit their dc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now