Talk

Advanced search

Why can't I find a piano teacher for ds2?

(16 Posts)
LadyMuck Tue 23-Sep-08 11:31:03

Have checked with other parents of piano-playing children but all the teachers seem to be full? I know that you have to have your name down for an 11+ tutor by the end of Year 3, but piano???

Have tried school (who may fit him in next year) and word of mouth (he's on 3 waiting lists but it could easily be a year). Any other ideas?

snorkle Tue 23-Sep-08 12:29:13

ds wants to start teaching piano to a couple of beginners. He's grade 7 standard, so probably able to teach the basics. Could you find a local teenager in a similar position? I do appreciate it might be a bit of a gamble as they won't have experience or diplomas etc, but might be worth a shot?

LadyMuck Tue 23-Sep-08 12:51:22

Thanks - it is certainly worth looking at. Slightly irritating as Dh is a fairly accomplished pianist/keyboard player - Grade 8 plus continues to play weekly. But whether he would manage to teach ds2 regularly I'm not sure.

roisin Tue 23-Sep-08 17:25:24

Ask at your local music shop. They usually have a list.

We took a year to find a teacher for ds2, then subsequently learned about the music shop trick!

roisin Tue 23-Sep-08 20:10:33

How old is ds2? IMO teaching young children requires experience as well as the right temperament. Personally I wouldn't take a gamble on a teenager, however talented.

neolara Tue 23-Sep-08 20:12:37

I also got a list of techers from our local music shop. Worth a try?

LadyMuck Tue 23-Sep-08 20:19:59

Ds2 is 5. He is keen and is fairly compliant - definitely not a difficult child (that would be ds1[grimace]). But yes I think that a teacher would be best. Will track down my music shop!

tortoiseshell Tue 23-Sep-08 21:11:20

Where are you based?

I think lots of people find piano teachers via friends - I certainly have lots of 'friends' who come for lessons.

tortoiseshell Tue 23-Sep-08 21:11:46

Where are you based?

I think lots of people find piano teachers via friends - I certainly have lots of 'friends' who come for lessons.

LadyMuck Tue 23-Sep-08 21:31:58

Between Croydon and Redhill ie South London. The only piano teacher that I know as a friend is a bit scarey. Have tried 3 others from friends who use them but they're all full.

surreylady Tue 23-Sep-08 21:53:33

Cant vouch for this but saw it the other day - maybe of use to you http://www.brittensmusic.co.uk/teachers.asp

FAQ Tue 23-Sep-08 21:54:54

ahh - too far for me - I'd have taken him on grin

Elasticwoman Tue 23-Sep-08 22:24:24

Too far for me too. Have you tried MusicTeachers website? (Google it, I can't do links). I am listed but not as Elasticfingers.

tortoiseshell Tue 23-Sep-08 22:25:44

Oh, I didn't mean that, I meant more friends of your ds who learnt iyswim. And I meant I have lots of groups of children who are friends who come, and who found me by word of mouth.

snorkle Wed 24-Sep-08 11:31:54

5 is quite young to start imo - I wouldn't worry about a year's wait (or more even).

Elasticwoman Wed 24-Sep-08 23:19:47

I will accept 5 yos to start. But I think they learn quicker if they start a bit later (6-7).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now