Talk

Advanced search

Registering interest with school: is there any point?

(9 Posts)
Catz Tue 23-Sep-08 11:17:42

IS there any point in registering your future interest in a (state) school several years in advance of your child going there? I was talking to some local mums today and they have already registered their interest with the local school for their babies who will go to school in 2012! DD is 14 months and a summer birthday and so will be going in 2011 (and applying in 2010). It hadn't even occurred to me to do this.

Bit of background as to why they are doing this. Local village state school is a good school with a very pleasant atmosphere. The village is a really strong community and we'd like her to be part of that. We are in the catchment for that school (and no other). Generally the school pretty much fills its 30 or so places from within catchment and usually takes a couple from out of catchment. BUT the council has just approved massive housebuilding of over 200 homes in the village. They are aimed at families and the council has approved it without consulting the school or making plans as to where they will go. At the same time the school in the next village along has just been given a 'notice to improve' by OFSTED and in any case generally has a bad reputation. There is now quite a bit of local concern about school places. The mums I spoke to think that registering interest now will help their applications or any appeals. Are they right? Will it help the school to get additional resources at all if everyone registers now?

Many thanks

Disclaimer - am not a pushy parent - just would prefer DD to be able to walk to decent local school where friends go. If I was pushy the village school the other way is 'outstanding' so would be pushing to go there... Also not against the house building, would just prefer them to plan!

UnquietDad Tue 23-Sep-08 11:19:13

I don't think it makes a difference, does it? You get the form to fill in when your child is 3. The places are allocated according to whatever your LA's criteria hierarchy is (SN, distance, catchment, sibling etc.).

TheFallenMadonna Tue 23-Sep-08 11:22:32

None at all I think.

We have the same issue in our village. Lots of new housing. School stuffed to capacity. Undersubscribed school nearby so council says there are sufficient local places for new development. 'Local' of course meaning different things to parents and council.

UnquietDad Tue 23-Sep-08 11:24:24

Yes, a local authority just has to offer a place in the local authority. Never mind the fact that it might be five miles away in a totally different community.

FluffyMummy123 Tue 23-Sep-08 11:24:53

Message withdrawn

Bramshott Tue 23-Sep-08 11:26:58

I don't think it makes any difference, but maybe would ensure that the school posted you out the forms at the relevant time rather than you having to pick them up? You could ring the school and ask them if they would encourage or discourage you from registering? It may be that if they can show the council that they will already expect to be full when the new housing is completed, they can put pressure on them for more funding for expansion?

Blu Tue 23-Sep-08 11:27:04

No point at all.

Allocation of places will be done according to strict criteria based on the circumstances of the applicant on the day they do the allocations!

Catz Tue 23-Sep-08 11:45:59

Thanks everyone. I thought that must be the case esp as it would otherwise penalise people who moved to the area.

Might contact the school though to see if it could help them.

Thanks again

UnquietDad Tue 23-Sep-08 12:40:37

Some schools like to have an informal idea of numbers, I think. But it won't help you get a place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now