Talk

Advanced search

qu about extension work

(4 Posts)
mimsum Mon 22-Sep-08 23:17:13

ds2's teacher told me today that he'll be doing y6 maths this year (just gone into y4)- ds will love this as he has a real 'feel' for and enjoyment of numbers (sadly not inherited from me ...)

however, what on earth will he do when he's covered all the y6 stuff - do they keep moving him on or will he have to wait for the others to catch up? or will they encourage him in other areas of the curriculum where he's not so advanced

I'm a bit puzzled - I was so pleased when ds2's teacher told me that I forgot to ask about any of the details ..

takingitasitcomes Tue 23-Sep-08 10:42:35

It depends a bit on the school - but unless it's a very poor one (which I doubt as at least they've noticed his ability) they won't abandon him once he's finished the Y6 work, but will keep giving him extension work. In my school we try to give work that won't necessarily be covered in class so that the children aren't bored in later years - so we give problem solving projects etc.

HTH

christywhisty Tue 23-Sep-08 13:07:07

My DD gets extention work but it tends to be more problem solving than working on higher level work.

mimsum Tue 23-Sep-08 20:40:04

thanks - that sounds ok, he'll enjoy that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now