Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone's school allow pets in class, like gerbils etc? DS's school doesn't but I wondered if it was LAW or just preference

(9 Posts)
Kbear Mon 22-Sep-08 19:42:43

Remember when you prayed it was you that could take the gerbil or hamster home in the holidays and your mum prayed it wasn't you!!

Then you'd pray that it would come out from under the floorboards before the end of the summer holidays!!

Kbear Mon 22-Sep-08 19:43:41

I suppose lots of kids have allergies now, don't remember anyone with allergies when I was a kid. Bit of eczema here and there but not on the scale of today.

Peachy Mon 22-Sep-08 19:44:29

ds2 took his stick insects in

but is anyone allergic to te evil creepy freaky things?

compo Mon 22-Sep-08 19:44:54

our nursery has a rabbit - we took it home for the weekend
I was glad we din't lose or kill it
it was in te kitchen and it's attempt to knaw through the bars of the cage woke ds at 5.30am hmm

NorbertDentressangle Mon 22-Sep-08 19:46:10

DD's school has chicks or ducklings in one of the classes for a few weeks every year but thats all. The eggs come from one family's farm and the hatched ones go back there afterwards so no problems with who has them at half-term etc

DS's nursery has Giant snails, fish mice and/or gerbils

pointydog Mon 22-Sep-08 19:46:53

I think health and safety has put an end to all this

islandofsodor Mon 22-Sep-08 19:59:52

Dd's school has guinea pigs, hamsters, stick insects and I think at one point they had a rabbit.

silverbirch Mon 22-Sep-08 20:35:01

lol at the memories this thread brought back!
My mother was a teacher and at one time we had 23 gerbils at home when the class gerbils started breeding!

Saxy Tue 23-Sep-08 09:39:01

Last year in yr 2 my DS teacher sent a letter home to all parents asking if they objected to having a gerbil in the class. No one did object so she bough 2 gerbils and they all had a chance to take them home for the weekend. The kids loved them and each days in small groups they were able to take them out and play with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now