Talk

Advanced search

YR1 not settling well...

(9 Posts)
Nappyzoneneedssleep Mon 22-Sep-08 12:47:06

Well she did at first and always has loved it and now were into week 3 - she missed 2 days over a sickness bug and has been well since but knwing she came home with it keeps coming out with the tummy ache thing...., she says its really hard and she doesnt want to go and this morning she was really upset as i dropped her off leaving me feeling much the same. She has fretted about school all weekend saying she cant keep up with the numbers stuff and last night woke in the middle of the night upset. I am going to have a word tonight when i pick up with teacher but please someeone reassure me they all go through this and its just bcoz yr1 is work and not play sad. I feel really peed of with the amount of pressure on them - every night we have a reading book and more to come - is the world going mad? we never got homework till secondary school and i turned out ok (ish). I just feel like poking the education gurus in the eye and yelling shes 5 ffs! Also i have said can you not ask her for some help if your stuck and she said she does but she says no go and do your work hmm

isaidno Mon 22-Sep-08 12:50:23

My ds1 has found yr1 a shock after reception where they get to play, and where the teacher does more for them. From speaking to other mums there are lots who have had the same trouble getting used to the extra brainwork!

He says he doesn't want to go every morning, which makes me sad because I loved school.

Nappyzoneneedssleep Mon 22-Sep-08 13:01:57

So i will just be another whining mum to the teacher then about my pfb! I think her reception teacher ws very fluffy and her new one even scares me the look of her - i hear she is quite regimented which dd wont like! I suppose the sooner she gets used to it ! She taught yr 4 last yr also so perhaps she has high expectations.

debs40 Mon 22-Sep-08 13:16:20

Hi

I agree with you. Yr 1 is a big change and it is total poo that there is so much pressure on 5 year olds. The world has gone mad! They should be out playing in the garden and having fun and not being reprimanded for not sitting still at a desk!

Nappyzoneneedssleep Mon 22-Sep-08 13:17:55

i wish i could do something for her to help i really do but other than poking the head inthe eye it wont really make her feel any better and i understand it just gets worse next year sad

Nappyzoneneedssleep Mon 22-Sep-08 13:20:33

She wanted to join choir and do some other extra curricular activity but i have had to say no as she already does 2 out of school fun things and with 2more in the equation she would be a wretched tired monster and i fear her work would then really suffer.... oh the joys of being a parent - i am psyching myself up for picky up time - i bet she comes out all giggly having had a great time then i will squeeze a big huggy into her and partly want to biff her round the head for giving me a shitty worry day. Bonus is ds has picked up on my mood and decided to stay asleep!

Yingers74 Mon 22-Sep-08 22:10:37

I totally agree with you on the homework front, many kids in dd1's class are also pretty upset about the difference between reception and year 1 so it is common although still not good.

Why kids cannot just be kids is beyond me! It is not as if we get to play once we become adults! Perhaps the govt hopes in the future kids will be so advanced they can start work at 10 and then start paying taxes!

pudding25 Mon 22-Sep-08 22:22:46

I teach yr 1. A different reading book each night is a bit much at the beginning of Autumn Term! (We give one book per week throughout yr 1 unless a parent wants more).

Unfortunately, this is pretty common at the beginning of year 1. Hopefully, the teacher is nicer than she looks - you could ask her to keep an eye on your dd and let you know how she is in class.

Just reassure dd and tell her not to worry as the teacher/TA will help her if she gets stuck.

Nappyzoneneedssleep Tue 23-Sep-08 12:36:26

Mini zone dd came out of school last night with a sad face on and said it was a minute bit better so i had a word with her teacher and despite looking like morticia was really really lovely - very reassuring to both - dd went to school today semi happy in the knowledge if any probs we would fix it. She did have maths and a reading book homework though which wa a squeeze between rainbows and moaning ds !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now