Talk

Advanced search

dd's first "proper" homework - tips on how to survive this!!!

(7 Posts)
CapricaSix Sun 21-Sep-08 10:36:40

My dd has 2 pages of numbers to write (as well as reading book & a request to practice saying rhymes with me). Today we are going out, this morning I have realised that now is the only time she'll have to do the writing before Wed (when it's supposed to be for) as I work mon-wed & there's no way in hell i'm gonna get her to do it when we arrive home at bedtime!!

Of course, dd is in no mood right now to do the homework, and I'm in no mood to make her - it would be a pity to turn homework into a chore & a battleground on its very first introduction!! Methinks i need a strategy for future weeks. Any tips? Is it better to sort of be casual and hope that a casual positive suggestion at any time leads to her actually wanting to do it (as if it's anything else we might do) or is it better to start a routine - homework has to be done after tea on a Friday, for example?

Twiglett Sun 21-Sep-08 10:38:12

how old is she

reading book and rhymes at bedtime as a 5 minute funtime

CapricaSix Sun 21-Sep-08 10:41:05

She's recently turned 5.
The reading is not a problem at all - dd is an avid reader, she reads loads to herself after bedtime (including her school books), - stage 8 of the ORT is too easy for her!!!

It's the more active homework i'm talking about, the writing, if that makes sense. And i'm not worried about her writing as such, she does lots of it at other times herself, quite often writes people notes etc. Writing homework is boring though! wink

Twiglett Sun 21-Sep-08 10:49:17

well personally in reception I told the teacher that I refused to force DS if he didn't want to .. and she agreed with me .. homework at primary is not compulsory

DS did and does do it religiously now (he's year 3) and probably has done since 2nd or 3rd term of reception

but there is no way they'd have 2 pages of numbers to copy out at that stage .. that's dull and too much

I will take the same tack with DD who starts in January tbh

you know your own child

CapricaSix Sun 21-Sep-08 10:58:11

Thanks. I feel the same way.

dd is very stubborn. If she doesn't want to do something, I have to come down hard to make her do it. I'm happy to do this for important stuff like cleaning teeth, getting dressed etc. But not for homework - not yet anyhow!

roisin Sun 21-Sep-08 11:06:23

I say routine is the best thing. When the boys were little and homework was rare and generally short they did it straight after getting home: snack/drink -> homework.

I would also then say over the weekend "Isn't it great that we can go out this afternoon, because we've got your homework out of the way, etc."

Sorting out routines early and not standing for any reluctance/prevarication has meant homework just hasn't been a battleground, it's a necessary evil to get over and done with.

We still have a similar approach. ds1 has just started secondary and gets quite a lot of homework. He does hwk session two evenings a week and Saturday morning, then the rest of his freetime is free.

CapricaSix Sun 21-Sep-08 18:44:52

hmm, in some ways that would work better for dd (once she had got used to it) in the long run. But today I just didn't want her very first real homework to be realised as a chore, iykiwm, cos it would be likely to be met with a groan every time in future too. She's just so young to be doing that! - i fully expect it later on!

Funnily enough, today in the end, I ignored the fact that she hadn't done it and we went out anyway (originally I had been saying it had to be done) and when we got in (late, as in had tea out), i ran her bath straight away and she started doing her homework herself - i think it was a way to get out of the tidying up! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now