Talk

Advanced search

Primary Admissions - can we apply in 2 counties?

(9 Posts)
chocolateshoes Fri 19-Sep-08 20:34:57

Hi!

The title says it all really. We live on the border of Cumbtia & Lancashire & are wondering if we can apply for schools in both counties therefore completing 2 different application forms. What do you think? Has anyone any experience of this?

chocolateshoes Fri 19-Sep-08 21:14:02

??

MingMingtheWonderPet Fri 19-Sep-08 21:19:35

We did.
We applied in a London Borough and also completed an application form for the adjoining county.
It was a completely separate application form dealt with by separate admissions authorities.

We did it because we were planning to move, but of course until contracts are exchanged you never know if it will actually go ahead.

ilkainnorthants Fri 19-Sep-08 23:12:40

I did this as well, applied for a school near home and one near work in another county. It was a bit odd as I then first got a place in the school near work, but didn't want to commit myself until I knew if I might have got my first choice near home. The info for the school near home came 4 weeks later. I got my first choice and so I then sent a letter to the school admin of the other county to say that I won't need the place. I apologised for the late reply and explained my situation. They were ok with that.

chocolateshoes Sat 20-Sep-08 19:06:07

Thanks. Ironically we also live near Yorkshire so could even apply there making 3 counties!!!! All our local schools are very small and I'm really worried that they are over subscribed so am looking at plan B!!

sunnydelight Mon 22-Sep-08 06:15:43

Some LEAs have co-ordinated admission policies with neighbouring LEAs to prevent people having more than one "first preference", though you can still apply to different counties, so you would need to check. Brighton & Hove and East Sussex do this, I don't know if anyone else does.

charmander Mon 22-Sep-08 06:30:48

Everywhere is now supposed to have a Common Application Form. You apply to your home LEA but can put schools from anywhere on it. The LEAs then co ordinate between themselves. It is supposed to stop some children getting 5 offers and others getting none.

chocolateshoes Mon 22-Sep-08 20:01:38

Thanks! You two are right. I had e-mailed the LEA who said exactly that. That we can apply for any county on the 1 form ie so we get just the one choice. I had thought it would be unfair that we could actually file 3 application but to be honest am clutching at straws I'm so worried about DS's primary school. Plan to Plan A!!!

weepootle Mon 22-Sep-08 20:10:07

I've applied in 2 counties as I may be moving, but they're not neighbouring counties and I couldn't do it on one form.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now