Talk

Advanced search

Is it usual for a school to not offer pupils drinks

(11 Posts)
lostittoday Thu 18-Sep-08 09:50:05

Hi
Ds has just moved up to junior school and I am surprised that the only drinks that they get are what they bring from home in their own bottle, and whats in their lunchbox.
Does this seem unusual they gave out squash freely at his infant school.
My ds tells me that there are no water machines around or anything like that.

Bramshott Thu 18-Sep-08 09:53:08

Is there not a water fountain in the cloakroom or somewhere? There really should be. Is it possible he just hasn't found it yet? At my DD1's primary school there are water fountains in the cloakroom (called "water mountains" by one of her friends when they were in Reception) and they have water at lunchtime too. Lots of them still seem to bring water bottles in though.

titchy Thu 18-Sep-08 09:53:12

It's normal for children to have to bring their own water bottle yes. However there should be a water fountain or similar (H & S legislation I believe), and the school should supply those that have school dinners with water or another drink. HTH

FranSanDisco Thu 18-Sep-08 09:55:47

There are water spouts in my dc's school playground but that's it. They are to bring in their own bottle of water for the desk and another in their lunch bag or a carton of juice.

I think only water is offered if having a school dinner. NO SQUASH!!! OMG you would be hung, drawn and quartered for asking for that. This applies throughout the school from Nursery to Juniors.

coppertop Thu 18-Sep-08 09:58:34

At ds1's school there are water fountains available for children to use. The KS2 children can also buy juice at play time if they want to. No-one takes in water bottles.

FioFio Thu 18-Sep-08 09:59:25

Message withdrawn

Seeline Thu 18-Sep-08 10:00:54

At DS school there are water coolers around school (provided by the PTA) They can have water or milk with their school dinner and they can take in bottles of their own drink. The school would certainly not provide squash - healthy eating police would be up in arms!!

AbbeyA Thu 18-Sep-08 10:08:08

I am very surprised that the infants offered squash. Generally they take a water bottle (has to be water)and they can fill it up, or there are water fountains. Young ones can have milk.

clam Thu 18-Sep-08 10:20:11

We often get parents sneaking squash into classrooms via their water bottles, which then leak all over the cloakroom floor and attract ants. Loads of complaints along the lines of "but pfb doesn't like water." We don't like ants, either.

titchy Thu 18-Sep-08 10:25:04

I know someone who puts lemonade in their dc's water bottle becuase it looks like water because pfb won't drink anything else...

AbbeyA Thu 18-Sep-08 10:35:33

I am surprised they dare offer squash-they haven't read threads on here!! There have also been about 10 pages on the evils of one drink of lemonade at a birthday party!
Water is a safe bet.Not liking water is ridiculous, if they were thirsty they would drink it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now