Talk

Advanced search

dd going backwards at school help!

(6 Posts)
neverforget Tue 16-Sep-08 15:06:08

dd changed schools into reception in january 2008 and is now in year one. She seems to be happy and has friends and such. She had a great teacher in reception and has a good yr1 teacher as well,i.e experienced motivating, firm but friendly etc etc.

My problem is she is academically going backwards. When she started her new school in January she was on stage 5 ORT and is now on stage 2! Other things such as her writing and maths have also gone worse as well.

I thought about making an appointment to see her teacher to have a chat but how do i go in without saying hey when my daughter started eight months ago she knew three times what she knows now! Other children seem to be progressing ok and she is not being bullied etc.

any ideas

neverforget Tue 16-Sep-08 15:08:16

by her maths being worse i mean that she has no number recognition above 5 any more and forgets her numbers and such where as before had few problems, her fluent reading has gone capput as well. I know she is in year one and its not university or anything but I cant understand why my dd can suddenly do less than before she went to school.

JacobsPrincess Tue 16-Sep-08 15:10:16

Year 1 is still very early in an academic career, and it's not unusual to have a little "blip" ast this stage. As long as she is happy and secure in school, I wouldn't worry too much.
Maybe do go in to see the teacher and share your concerns, asking what you can do to help support your dd at home.

JacobsPrincess Tue 16-Sep-08 15:13:42

Try playing counting games at home, or in the car, walking home etc. Get her to help put the shopping away and count the apples, tins etc. Count the knives and forks when setting the table for dinner. How many potatoes are on your plate? All this sort of thing reinforces to dd that numbers are ussul in everyday life, not just in her maths workbook!
Same thing for reading - Why are the words important on the cereal packet? So we know what's inside, what it's made from etc etc.

neverforget Tue 16-Sep-08 20:32:48

Thanks for replying Jacobs, thats the kind of stuff we have always done, just seems she has started back at school with a cant be bothered attitude and its driving me insane lol.

pudding25 Tue 16-Sep-08 22:42:21

I am a year 1 teacher. I do think you need to voice your concerns. I would be concerned if I child in my class has started on level 5 and dropped to level 2. There may be a good reason for this that the teacher knows/is aware of/is dealing with. Just tell her what you have written here and ask her for some advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now