Talk

Advanced search

Eleven plus - practice exams

(9 Posts)
CostaRicanCod Tue 16-Sep-08 09:38:16

have had a letter abotu practice exams run at a locla school befor the Big Day itself.
have oyu done these

LadyMuck Tue 16-Sep-08 09:59:29

Locally the grammar schools run some. I would think that if it is at a school that you are applying for then it is worth doing so if only for the practice of ds being in such a huge environment and having to find his room, his desk etc. Also it is a dry run for you re parking (locally the biggest isue for parents on the days of exam is being able to get anywhere near to the school on time!).

Haven't done them myself but I know that the school encourages it, not so much for the exam practice as the getting there on time, not getting lost at lunch etc practice.

CostaRicanCod Tue 16-Sep-08 09:59:56

ok ta

Freckle Tue 16-Sep-08 10:06:40

DS3 is doing the 11+ (hastily renamed the Kent test because they've brought forward the exam and virtually none of the children will be 11!) this week. He has practice papers today and tomorrow and then the exam proper on Thursday and Friday. This is all done in school, not at a separate venue. Is this what you mean?

CostaRicanCod Tue 16-Sep-08 10:24:47

no someone runs it as a money makign venture i suppose
she is a tutor herself.
you can sign up for your kdi to go
he already ahs a tutor and an 11plus "club" ats chool

Gobbledigook Tue 16-Sep-08 10:31:15

Never heard of this here but Ladymuck's logic sounds right - I'd let mine do it I think (although we now have separate papers for each school, not one 11+ that covers all the grammars).

LadyMuck Tue 16-Sep-08 10:47:57

Ah, locally these are organised by the grammar schools themselves. If he is at an 11+ club I suspect he is getting the experience of sitting in a room doing practice papers. Main value in this sort of exercise is actually taking the exam at the grammar school with 500 others, and having the whole experience of finding out which room you are in etc. Well imo.

Charmander Tue 16-Sep-08 11:59:06

for children not from kent but who are taking the kent tests they had a practise morning at the school last saturday and the real thing this saturday.

lilolilmanchester Tue 16-Sep-08 18:35:12

never heard of that here (our education authority doesn't allow the schools to prep kids for 11+) but it's a good idea if it's on offer on your area go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now