Talk

Advanced search

Should I speak to DD's teacher?

(8 Posts)
ninja Tue 16-Sep-08 03:18:19

Not sure if I'm just being hormonally emotional about my pfb because I'm 39 weeks pg.

DD is a year 1 in a mixed yr 1/yr 2 class (half the class move up).

I get the impression that she's on the weakest table, and basically she doesn't have any other girls on her table.

This was the case in the first week and as DD was concerned (she also had the 3 naughtiest yr 1 boys on the table so I couldn't blame her) I spoke to the teacher briefly and she said she was just assessing and that they'd change the next week and she even asked DD who she got on well with.

The next week there was one girl on the table, but not one of the 3 yr 1 girls that she gets on with. Well now this girl has been moved off, plus one of the boys she was friendly with has gone down to class 1.

In addition she keeps asking me what she needs to do to get credits as everyone in the class has more than her.

When I do see the teacher she always tells me how well DD is doing, how hards she's trying ... so I don't know what to tell her.

Last year DD was the last to be put in good work assembly and I'm wondering if she's jsut going to be one of these invisible children.

They tell me she's very quiet at school but that's far from the truth at home, she's lively, bright and very sociable.

I've had a couple of little chats with the teacher while DD's been listening, but I wonder if I should try and speak to her without DD so I can find out what's happening.

DH says I'm being silly, but I'm aware that in a week or so her home life's going to be turned upside down and I want to be more confident that she's happy nd settled at school.

What do you think?

Thanks for reading all this....

cornsilk Tue 16-Sep-08 07:38:19

It won't do any harm to mention to the teacher what you've put on here. Sometimes chn can be 'invisible'. The teacher will probably be glad you've raised it with her now.

ninja Tue 16-Sep-08 08:23:52

Thanks Cornsilk - I don't know if I'm being overly precious.

bozza Tue 16-Sep-08 08:40:01

Definitely worth mentioning. One thing that crossed my mind - is your DD on the same table for every lesson? When DS was in Y2 (can't remember back to y1 blush) he was with different groups for different activities - so one group for numeracy and one for literacy (I believe these were both ability based) and one for the afternoon subjects (history, geography, RE, ICT etc) which I think were mixed ability. But I only ever saw him on his morning table.

GooseyLoosey Tue 16-Sep-08 08:46:27

I would mention it - I had issues with ds last year which the teacher seemed largely unaware of. This was not her fault and I never criticised her but I did mention it until I felt that it was being addressed.

I think if you are constructive and non-critical, most teachers would welcome an approach from a concerned parent.

LadyMuck Tue 16-Sep-08 08:47:16

Don't know your story but if her home life is about to be turned upside down then you do need to book a time with the teacher when dd is not there. The teacher should be made aware that something sgnificant is happening.

ninja Tue 16-Sep-08 11:30:40

Thanks - no she's on the same table for everything except carpet time.

LadyMuck home life only going to be turned upsde down as I'll be having a baby in a week or 2 and she's been used to being the only one for 5 years! Nothing serious - but I'd like school to be settled before that happens and I'm too bleary eyed to deal with it.

I'll see if I can ask to speak to her

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Tue 16-Sep-08 11:32:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now