Talk

Advanced search

Does your KS2 child take there own "pencil case" and/or contents?

(12 Posts)
RandomIdiot Sun 14-Sep-08 22:34:40

DTDs are badering me to let them.

i know contents will get lost.

Then they will get upset.

School have not asked for them to be supplied. In fact I think it should be their responsibility.

But I don't want them to be left out.

But I am trying to source an S-curve pencil for left handed DTD2, which if it does the job will be good for her to have at school....but it is going to cost more than a 10p pencil which I would be annoyed at getting "lost"....

What do others do? Am I being a mean mummy?

bellavita Sun 14-Sep-08 22:37:17

yes, they both do (DS1 now KS3 as from a couple of weeks ago). DS2 is in Yr4 and he has had a pencil case and full contents since Yr1. Things go missing, things get added, tis their responsibility, I don't get involved.

GodzillasBumcheek Sun 14-Sep-08 22:38:27

They will get lost, or taken. Have experienced this the hard way - but to do so i did let them take their own stuff in. Kids, like adults learn from their mistakes. Hopefully, anyway.

RandomIdiot Sun 14-Sep-08 22:40:15

Well I will give DTD2 until playtime on the first day with it then....she would lose her thumb if she didn't suck it quite so much grin

notsoteenagemum Sun 14-Sep-08 22:42:52

DD has just started year 4 and has a Hannah Montana pencil case stuffed with stationary.
I gave her the choice of what she put in but I warned her that 'when it's gone it's gone' she was given personalised pencils so they'll be easy to track down.
I confiscated it on Wed (coz she was smuggling lip-gloss) and she took a pencil-it survived without a case.

tudorrose Sun 14-Sep-08 22:43:01

I would check with their teacher and see what they say. As a year 3 teacher I never let my class bring in their own pencil cases simply for the sake of my own sanity! It causes no end of fuss, somebody always loses one or somebody takes something or uses something they shouldn't. The school should provide everything they need. And if your DTD2 needs a special pencil then the teacher/SENCO should sort this out. Its not being mean to say no, it's much easier in the end!

kennythekangaroo Sun 14-Sep-08 22:43:44

I agree, school should supply.

If you do decide to send them with stuff then label everything clearly. Scrape a chunk off pencils to write a name, use permanent pen on rulers/pens or stickers. At least that way if something is found it can be returned easily.

Niecie Sun 14-Sep-08 22:44:21

DS1's school have banned children having their own pencil cases this term because things kept getting lost. DS is the most disorganised child you can wish to meet and he hasn't lost anything. However, I think some children have bought fancy themed sets and losts bits which I suppose is a big deal to them.

But I don't think you are being a mean mummy at all.

Could you ask the class teacher what the other children do? I would also ask about providing the left handed pencil too. My DS is left handed and they have various different pencils for him to try.

If they don't have the kind you want for your DD, I am sure they won't complain about you providing it and you can get very narrow labels with which to put her name on.

It is all a bit silly though isn't it? As you say the school should provide it all like they did when I was a child - no worries about things getting lost or squabbles about who has the best. Everybody was treated the same.

hobnob Sun 14-Sep-08 22:45:45

I think it's a good idea for them to have their own pencil cases and (modest) contents. They'll enjoy writing with 'their' pencils and it's a nice way for them to engage with school work. I do see your point about the special pencil and the pain if it gets lost, but taking responsibility for their own things is all part of learning.

I took my DS (just started in year 3) to a not-posh stationers where he chose a pencil case, and we had pencils, rubbers etc lying around at home anyway to put in it, and he was really pleased with it.

That's my twopenn'oth, anyway. Good luck!

hobnob Sun 14-Sep-08 22:48:02

Sorry! Didn't see the other messages from teachers etc advising not to.

RandomIdiot Sun 14-Sep-08 22:49:47

TY tudor rose.

When they kept saying "joe bloggs as their own pencil case" I was brushing it off saying "yeah yeah, whatever". But I have seen personal pencil cases in teh trays on each desk.

I think that I took a small pencil case in the equivalent of Yr6...and I get an award at the end of every term cos I hadn't chewed the end of my (school provided) pencil which of course I hadn't used grin. DTDs are only in Yr3 though.

I was planning to ask at parents evening in a couple of weeks though if I can hold out to their badgering until then.

DTD2 doesn't need a special pencil. She is left handed though and I have heard v v good reviews of these for improving left hander's writing. The only reall problem is that her writing starts in the top right of the page and drifts to the bottom left...I don't think she can see the line because her hand is in teh way. This pencil is reported to help.

Chocolateteapot Sun 14-Sep-08 22:50:53

DD has to bring a pencil case in now she is Year 5 and to try not to lose it whilst trotting off to science, maths, music, ICT, DT and back to her form room. I think it is a complete miracle that she hasn't lost it yet and have a secret stash of replacement pens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now