Talk

Advanced search

Henry VIII

(8 Posts)
dinny Sun 14-Sep-08 17:16:16

sil trying to explain Reformation to 8yo neice but finding it hard to do it in terms she can comprehend

anyone help? or any good websites I can go to and print for her? or books
thanks

RustyBear Sun 14-Sep-08 17:22:01

If you google Henry VIII KS2 (for Key Stage 2, which covers ages 7-11)you'll get lots of results like this one with info designed for the right age.

This is the unit they will presumably be doing.

PeaMcLean Sun 14-Sep-08 17:22:05

Ha ha, I tried explaining the Reformation to DS once. The things you do, eh. How he got onto the subject I have no idea.

I can do my version for you if that helps? or do you want something a little more, erm, accurate? grin

smartiejake Sun 14-Sep-08 17:24:54

Try this here great history website my dd used when she did the tudors last year.

or here is a fab search engine. Click history and type "Henry the VIII" in the search box and it will list all the relevant sites and link you to them.

dinny Sun 14-Sep-08 17:27:54

a potted version woule be GREAT

ahem, despite my history A level am a bit useless

Marina Sun 14-Sep-08 17:36:23

How about the BBC

PeaMcLean Sun 14-Sep-08 18:34:05

OK, the version I gave DS is roughly as follows:

A long time ago, most people in Europe worshipped God in the same way. They had to say their prayers in Latin, and because they couldn't read, they only knew about the bible through the priests in the churches, they weren't allowed to work things out for themselves. The most important man was the Pope and he lived in Rome. But then, slowly people started to think about think about this. They wanted to be able to say prayers in their own language and to understand what they were saying. They began to say that some things in churches were maybe a bit silly, like actually believing that the bread and wine was really really Jesus's body (it wasn't they said, it was just a symbol). They also began to ask why the Pope was soooo important and to think that perhaps he shouldn't be.

Now, at this time, over in England, Henry VIII had been married to Catherine for 20 years and they only had one child, who was a girl. Henry was miffed about this because he needed a boy who could be king when he died. So he got to wondering why God wasn't being kind and giving them a baby boy. He decided that the marriage had to finish and in those days, to divorce someone, you had to ask the Pope. However, the Pope said no and told Henry not to be so silly. Henry was cross about this. However, he'd started to hear about some people in the rest of Europe who said that the Pope was not the most important person anymore. And he'd also heard that Kings were kings because God said so. Which was handy, because, if that were true, Henry was the most important person in England and in his own country he didn't need to take any notice of the Pope! So, Henry decided to take up the new religion and declare that he was appointed by God to rule in his own country. This meant he could divorce Catherine and go and live with that nice young thing who'd taken a fancy to him...

Sadly for Henry, it turned out that it was probably something up with his own tackle that prevented many pregnancies occuring. And later he decided he quite liked the bread and wine so he brought back that tradition as well.

grin

mrz Sun 14-Sep-08 19:13:59

try Woodlands school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now