Talk

Advanced search

DS hasn't got place at school that DD goes to - help

(9 Posts)
schoolnightmare Fri 12-Sep-08 21:54:13

DS is in Y3 of primary school that she has attended from reception. This year school is very oversubscribed and we do not live in catchment. As a result we have not got a place for our DS (4y) who was due to start reception this year. I feel totally devastated by this and very alone as he is the only sibling that has failed to get in (other sibling that was on wait list got in on medical grounds after an appeal, also until this year all siblings out of catchment have got in)). Has anyone got any ideas on how we might be able to challenge this decision?
Alternative is to move DD from school where she is happy (and we are happy with it) to the school that has given place to DS.
Just don't know what to do for the best?

Twiglett Fri 12-Sep-08 21:56:39

appeal on a sibling basis .. that's your only hope really ..

Hulababy Fri 12-Sep-08 21:58:39

Can you keep him on the waiting list and hope a place coomes available soon?

Rubyrubyruby Fri 12-Sep-08 21:58:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyMuck Fri 12-Sep-08 21:59:15

Stay on the wait list - presumably any other children won't have siblings so your younger ds should be top of wait list. You might have to wait for several months but there always seems to be someone who has to leave/move. If you are happy with the school I would be very reluctant to move your older ds.

Peachy Fri 12-Sep-08 22:06:39

Agree, wait it put- several kids a year leave to move or go to independent

schoolnightmare Sat 13-Sep-08 09:56:34

Thanks for all the responses. That is what I initially thought but this year is so oversubscribed that there are children in catchment above us on waiting list. DS was number 2 on waiting list at start of summer holidays and is now number 4 so I feel as if there is little hope of a place for a couple of years. The area we live in does have quite a high turnover, especially in year 1 and above so hopefully it will only be a years wait. Am expecting third baby in Jan though so it is not going to be easy juggling 2 school runs even for a short while.

LadyMuck Sat 13-Sep-08 12:32:24

Just because people are on the waiting list doesn't mean that they will move if and when a place comes up (bear in mind that they will be expected to take up the place immediately). When a single space came up locally my firend went form 6th to 1st just because the others on the waiting list didn't want to unsettle their children, buy new uniform etc.

Also bear in mind that people moving to the area will go on several waiting lists, so the children above you may get places elsewhere.

Millarkie Sat 13-Sep-08 13:07:26

My ds went from number 3 on waiting list at local school, to something like number 18 by September...but we were offered a place in December, just before Christmas (and we didn't take it because he had settled at his new school) so don't despair - keep on the waiting list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now