Talk

Advanced search

another year 1 thread, is this ok to write in dd2 reading communication book?

(20 Posts)
misdee Thu 11-Sep-08 21:42:07

she came home with a book she had read already last year. two levels below her current reading level.

have put a note in her book stating we had already had that book and what level she is actually on.

am worried in case i am undermining the teacher at all blush

Hulababy Thu 11-Sep-08 21:43:48

No problem. Happened to DD this year. teacher gave her a book she had read a while ago last year by accidnet. DD hadn't recognised title but we both recognised it on reading first page. I wrote a note. teacher gave her a new book next day - no problem.

Piffle Thu 11-Sep-08 21:44:24

no entitled not being uppity in the least

misdee Thu 11-Sep-08 21:46:32

oh good.

its a teacher new to the school who isnt aware of dd2 fully iykwim. dd2 had already gone through most of year 1 books last year, so old yr one teacher knew her. new teacher thinks dd2 is fab though (wait till half term me thinks lol)

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Thu 11-Sep-08 21:50:35

This sort of situation is always tricky, as the teacher may get defensive if s/he thinks you're questioning her professional judgement. Could it be that the teacher is starting your daughter (and the other children) slightly below where they were at the end of last year, in case they have slipped back during the summer, as many children do? On the other hand, it may just be a mistake.

Has your daughter actually read the book to you now? You could always say something like 'Little misdee read the story without any difficulty, as she remembered it from last year'!

misdee Thu 11-Sep-08 21:52:11

yes she did read it again. easily.

yesterday book was at the right level she left on last school year, and she read to the TA who signed it off as excellant reading. also read at home.

Marina Thu 11-Sep-08 21:53:38

Worth checking, but it could be for a specific reason, as madbad says. At our Yr1 parents' meeting dd's teacher was emphatic that initially they mix levels up a bit as the children are encouraged to pick an ORT story they like the look of.
If the two of them already hit it off I am sure everything will work out fine misdee

wheresthehamster Thu 11-Sep-08 21:54:45

Is she choosing her own now? She might just have wanted to read it again if so

misdee Thu 11-Sep-08 21:56:35

no she doesnt choose her own books yet, isnt a free reader. and dd2 is very particuklar about doing things in order.

imaginaryfriend Thu 11-Sep-08 22:03:11

misdee the exact thing happened with dd! And I wrote a similar note in the reading book saying that she read it last year and what level she is actually on! We only change books once a week though so I don't expect much of a change until next week. smile

misdee Thu 11-Sep-08 22:04:25

i know some schools/chidlren change once a week, but dd2 changes her most days, unless she is struggling with it then we keep it for longer.

ChasingSquirrels Thu 11-Sep-08 22:06:06

I think the comment for a pp of 'Little misdee read the story without any difficulty, as she remembered it from last year' would be ideal.
If she is still getting them at the end of next week I would speak to the teacher.

ChasingSquirrels Thu 11-Sep-08 22:07:27

actually I would change it to;
'Little misdee read the story without any difficulty, and she remembered it from when she read it last year"

Reginaphilangy Thu 11-Sep-08 22:08:47

My Y1 dd got 3 books home this week.

One wasn't a reading scheme book.
One was a level below where she finished last year.
One was 3 levels below where she finished last year!

I mentioned it to new teacher who told me not to worry, and that it was dd's old Reception teacher who has put the books in the reading bags for the first week. She said that they include 'easy' books to gradually introduce children back to reading in case they haven't done any over the summer hols. Makes sense smile

aintnomountainhighenough Thu 11-Sep-08 22:18:07

Agree with other posters, the same happened to my DD last week. First couple of days in a new school we had a very easy book home - but it was actually good it was easy and I was glad to get a book iyswim. However come Monday we had 2 books at her level. It will work out - I think they need a the first week or so to assess who remembers what and get into the swing of things again!

MrsWeasley Thu 11-Sep-08 22:22:53

No problem with commenting on it at all. I work in a school and have just give our new children their reading books. Which were based on their reading ages done in the last term before the break and some were clearly way out.
Teacher appreciated the comment from one parent as we hadnt got round to listen to everyone read yet.

littlestrawberry Fri 12-Sep-08 06:31:42

I thought that was partly the reason for these comment books. So parents can see that they are reading at home and any comments you have about the book and their reading.

I've had to put a note in DS1's book about his reading book. DS1 who just started Y1 is a fluent reader who is now reading slim chapter books at home, whilst the book he got sent home with was a higher level than last year it's far too easy for him.

We went through discussing the story and what the bigger words mean (which he knew) and then after the 3rd day of reading it I put a note to say he found it a bit easy. It does say at the front of his book that you should put if its too easy or hard. I did think about it a couple of days but then decided to go for it. I don't want DS to be held back if you see what I mean.

imaginaryfriend Fri 12-Sep-08 22:09:26

Now I'm mighty confused ... dd came home with a book which is 3 levels higher than she was last reading in Reception! What's going on???

Hulababy Fri 12-Sep-08 23:04:53

IF - new teacher might have reassessed her reading level as being at this new level during class. Is DD finding the new books ok?

imaginaryfriend Sat 13-Sep-08 14:26:42

She could read the book ok - the teacher read the first chapter with her in class and gave her a smiley face in her reading book with comment 'great reading, dd!' She can only read it a bit at a time though because although she's not stuck on any of the words, there are more words than she's used to in one go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now