Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Question (for teachers?) on Scotland's P1 PIPS test?

(6 Posts)
Waswondering Thu 11-Sep-08 19:55:50

Ds had his P1 PIPS test with his teacher today. He was delighted to have 20 mins of her undivided attention at the computer.

As a parent I'm interested to know (obviously!) what the test showed - does anyone know if parents get this information? Nothing came home in his bookbag today and I don't know if a note will come home later - or if, indeed, I actually need to know!

I know the test is repeated in June and it's a tool for the school to use to measure his progress across the year, but, y'know, PFB and all that! Curious to know if he's the absolute genius-never-had-one-so-clever-before child we all assume him to be wink!

Will I find out or is it an internal tool (or does it depend on the school?)

mrz Thu 11-Sep-08 20:05:28

PIPS is a programme devised by Durham University. Personally I question it's accuracy as in any multiple choice activity there is guessing correctly.

mrz Thu 11-Sep-08 20:06:16

OFSTED love it in England because it produces nice graphs and charts

SqueakyPop Thu 11-Sep-08 20:08:20

We use Pips at our school too (not Scotland) and it is really an internal tool for the school to check the child's progress.

I don't think diagnostic tests are particularly useful as a snapshot in Y1 as children develop at different rates. Being average, above or below, at this point in time does not really indicate where the child will be in years to come. The key thing is that they do move onwards and upwards at their own rate.

Waswondering Thu 11-Sep-08 20:43:20

SP - that's exactly what his teacher said last week when she said they would have this, that it's a tool for the school.

I was just curious to know . . . . not sure it benefits me in anyway to know, but very curious!

mrz Thu 11-Sep-08 20:57:35

Waswondering if you check out the link it explains everything *PIPS*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now