Talk

Advanced search

How about this for emotional blackmail!

(8 Posts)
Whizzz Wed 10-Sep-08 17:17:51

DS brought home a handwritten letter done in class inviting us to the PTA meeting because "if we don't go, the school won't have enough money for play equipment, books" etc. shock
Needless to say, the meeting is during 'normal' working hours with no indication of how long it will take.
The PTA is more cliquey than MN on a bad day!! I've tried to help before and all you get is stares and no one talk to you!

TheBournemouthConspiracy Wed 10-Sep-08 17:19:33

shock

DisasterArea Wed 10-Sep-08 17:21:18

true though - if the PTA are not supported there will be no money to buy extras.

hecate Wed 10-Sep-08 17:21:56

How about a note back saying "I would love to come, however, your meeting is in working hours and if I take time off to come I will not have enough money for bills and food..."
wink

lilolilmanchester Wed 10-Sep-08 17:27:54

The unreasonable bit is the meeting in working hours. Our PTA meetings are always in the evenings, tho that doesn't suit a lot of single parents or people whose DPs work away. Attending the meetings isn't the be-all and end-all, there are lots of ways to support a PTA other than going to meetings. Sounds like your PTA hasn't thought it through very well and there's nothing worse than a cliquey PTA that doesn't make new members welcome. They're shooting themselves in the foot IMO.
I do have some sympathy with the bit about needing extra money - school budgets just won't cover it all these days - but doesn't sound like they've done a very good job of rallying support or making people feel welcome when they try to help. Why not write them a polite letter saying you are happy to help, but can't attend meetings during working hours. They won't all be awful, I hate being tarred with the "cliquey PTA" brush.

Whizzz Wed 10-Sep-08 17:50:33

I did actually suggest that they vary the times of meetings when I tried to volunteer when DS started school .... it didn't get much support!

I didn't like the idea that DS had that if we don't go he can't have new equipment or books. I realise that they do need support but I don't think this is the way to go about it. As you say Lilo, if they were a little more friendly, they might get more volunteers!

ecoworrier Wed 10-Sep-08 18:41:39

We actually had fewer people turn up when we held evening meetings, so we have reverted to daytime ones!

Like someone said above, the meetings are only one part of a PTA. There are always loads of ways to get involved.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Wed 10-Sep-08 18:54:32

Whizz - totally agree about the emotional blackmail using the kids. At our school there was an auciotn of promises and one teacher's ill-judged promise was to read a bedtime story to the child of the highest bidder, and told all the (reception!) children in her class to tell their parents to bid high shock So there were all the parents feeling they'd let down their child f they didn't pay out loads of dosh, and 29/30 disappointed children...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now