Talk

Advanced search

DS2 alone in classroom all playtime!

(7 Posts)
moosemama Tue 09-Sep-08 16:16:14

Apparently he was engrossed in whatever he was playing and didn't notice them line up to go into the playground! hmm

He didn't know what to do when he realised everyone had gone, but sensibly decided to stay put till they came back.

I am pleased that he had the good sense not to wander off, but shocked that no-one noticed he was missing until they lined up to come back in from the playground.

He only started full-time on Monday and fortunately this 'incident' doesn't seem to have worried him too much but I am quite concerned that no-one noticed he was missing and as a result he was left unsupervised for a time.

I shall obviously be talking to his teacher in the morning, but just wanted to check that I'm not being overprotective first (am pregnant and hormonal at the moment).

rrrayray Tue 09-Sep-08 18:04:16

Well done him for being so sensible. I can imagine most children would have flown into a panic! How on earth did they not see him? Classrooms aren't THAT big!!!

I think you are right to talk to the teacher in the morning, but like you said you are pg and hormonal, so keep a check on what your saying. You want to express how concerned you are this happened, but there is no point in falling out with his teacher so early on, the academic year has just started. wink

Just a thought... were you TOLD by the teacher this had happened, or did your DS tell you himself? Personally i think if they had realised this perhaps they should have mentioned that it happened to him, but then again if he didn't seem fazed/upset about it maybe it was deemed not necessary!

moosemama Tue 09-Sep-08 18:25:41

That's what I thought, how on earth did they manage to not notice he was still sitting down playing?

Nope his teacher didn't mention it when I picked him up, he told me about it when we got home.

Will be nice and calm when I talk to her tomorrow. I already know her quite well from when DS1 was in her class the year before last so I don't think we are likely to fall out. I do feel like I would like an explanation and a reassurance it won't happen again though.

AlexanderPandasmum Tue 09-Sep-08 18:27:13

It happens sometimes, because if the teacher is at the front of the line there's not a lot they can do about the child who stays behind. No it shouldn't have happened but remember the school is a safe place and there won't have been anything dangerous to him there.

In my own class the children would probably know the way to the playground (same age) and as it is close to the staffroom I imagine any child losing their way would be able to find an adult pronto.

I would mention that you were a bit put out, and ask how it can be prevented from happening again, but try to remember at the same time that your child is 4, and sensible, and in a safe environment full of only police-checked adults and age-appropriate equipment, so it's very unlikely any harm would have come to him.

edam Tue 09-Sep-08 18:30:34

I think an explanation and reassurance that they've made sure it won't happen again is a very reasonable request!

moosemama Tue 09-Sep-08 19:02:59

He did know his way to the playground, but didn't know where the class had gone as he's not quite up to speed with the routine and didn't think he should go out of the class without his teacher.

Don't get me wrong, I have it all in perspective and am not flapping about it, but I can't say that I will feel as safe leaving him as school tomorrow as I did today.

I do think they should have mentioned it to me when I collected him though, whether they felt he was actually in any danger or not.

I don't intend to be unreasonable about it, I help out at the school and understand that teachers are not superhuman and these things happen from time to time, but all the same I still think it does need to be discussed and feel I need some reassurance.

Spink Tue 09-Sep-08 19:58:31

moosemama, he is great, your ds isn't he?! what a star for being so together about it. Sounds like your instincts to check it out are really reasonable, it's not like you're going in there all guns blazing.
what a start to the new school experience...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now