Talk

Advanced search

Just started Year 1. First spelling list of the year. I'm surprised at the words, I think...

(66 Posts)
jura Mon 08-Sep-08 21:19:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hulababy Mon 08-Sep-08 21:40:05

Seems odd. Ours in Y1 started with far more simple CVC words, working up to such as these.

DD's teacher always included some simpler words in the speling each week - she gave 10 a week, about half were easer ones, the rest a bit toguher -to ensure all the children int he class could succeed at some of them.

angelstar Mon 08-Sep-08 21:45:21

My ds is an august baby and was doing ee and ea words last week BUT he has just started yr 2. As far as I can remember he mostly had cvc words last year.

somersetmum Mon 08-Sep-08 21:45:31

My dd has also just started Year 1. We haven't had a spelling list yet, but c-v-c were mastered last year in Reception.

The words your dd has been given make sense to me as it is introducing one new sound, i.e 'ea' and 'ee' make the same sound and that must be what they are teaching this week? Once this rule has been learnt, she will be back to the c-v-c concept, using the as the vowel, e.g. s-ee-n, b-ee-n, l-ea-f. These are the kind of spellings I will be expecting my dd to receive.

I think 'asleep' and 'street' are a bit harder but not if she has already learnt the sounds that 'str' and 'sl' make.

somersetmum Mon 08-Sep-08 21:46:40

using the new sound as the vowel

Slouchy Mon 08-Sep-08 21:47:54

Ours are

it
bit
lit
hit

am tempted to add

shit
tit

etc.

But i thikn this is more about practising h/writing joins than spellings.

jura Mon 08-Sep-08 21:49:24

fridayschild Mon 08-Sep-08 21:50:33

We have

that
this
then
them

for an April baby who is really not that keen on reading

cat64 Mon 08-Sep-08 21:50:42

Message withdrawn

Marina Mon 08-Sep-08 21:51:58

Jura, what's the spelling scheme (if there is one)?

jura Mon 08-Sep-08 23:59:43

jura Tue 09-Sep-08 00:01:38

pudding25 Tue 09-Sep-08 08:56:48

I teach yr1 - I would not be giving these words in wk 2!!! Autumn term starts with cvc words. Obviously, once I determine the ability of the children, I would give harder words to those who are capable. Maybe the teacher has done assessments already (she is on the ball!) and thinks your DS can do these (especially if he is a good reader!). You may find that other kids in the class, who cannot read much, do have words like cat etc.

FAQ Tue 09-Sep-08 08:59:05

Sounds like the sort of things DS1 has in YR1 - he was a slow reader but had no trouble with the words.

I was initially bemused by some of the "choices" of words to learn, but after a while they started to make sense.

doiwant3 Tue 09-Sep-08 10:27:17

I think they learn different sounds each week, so it sounds like they have been doing "ee", which would explain those words. However, it seems early to have any spelling tests at all. DD didn't have them until at least after half-term, as quite a few of the class couldn't read yet!

hippipotami Tue 09-Sep-08 10:38:41

I think you ds has been placed in one of the higher literacy groups because he is good at reading. Hence he has been given harder spelling words.

Dd (Dec baby so one of the older in the year) is also a good reader. This were her spelling words in the last half-term of reception:

any
many
more
before
down
only
because
want
saw
put
loud

quin (wtf??)
butter
bark
soil
hotter
found
start
charm
toy
little

who
why
where
when
whic h
were
what

Your list seems to make sense with the 'ee' adn 'ea' sounds. Teh above lists seemed to me to be completely random...

We have not yet had any spelling words in Y1 (she has only been there 3 days) so I don't know what they will be like.

coppertop Tue 09-Sep-08 10:45:37

Similar to Somersetmum. Ds2 did CVC spellings in Reception. He hasn't brought any spellings home to learn yet (now Yr1) but it wouldn't surprise me if they were similar to the OP's list.

NikkiH Tue 09-Sep-08 12:08:03

The first spellings for DS2 when he was in Year 1 last year were: ring, sang, strong, length, in and was. Most of them were practising the 'ng' sound but I was gobsmacked when I saw them and had to teach DS2 to read 'strong' and 'length' before he could learn to spell them.

DS1 (four years earlier) had started with cat, mat, rat etc. In year 5 last year he was spelling autobiography and words of that ilk!

flatmouse Tue 09-Sep-08 12:21:16

We didn't get any spellings in YR and are yet to receive in Y1 (but obv v early days).

Think DS had some in Y1 but possibly it was not until Y2.

Blackduck Tue 09-Sep-08 12:26:37

Here the list for this week is:
get
I
am
clap
shop
shut
wish
fish
the
shampoo

imaginaryfriend Tue 09-Sep-08 13:50:38

Do all the children get the same spellings or does the teacher vary them according to the child's ability?

imaginaryfriend Tue 09-Sep-08 13:51:13

Oh yes, and how do they test them? As a whole class or as a group or individually?

LindzDelirium Tue 09-Sep-08 14:31:16

DD has just gone to Year 2 (July baby) but the 2nd week of YR one she had to spell "Frightening".

neverforget Tue 09-Sep-08 15:59:40

Imaginaryfriend the schools I have experience of all do spelling lists in groups based on reading ability i.e red group, green etc.

We have not had ANY spelling test words home yet!

neverforget Tue 09-Sep-08 16:01:22

and I mean we had no spelling words home in the whole of reception as well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now