Talk

Advanced search

Separate lines/pegs etc for girls and boys? Is this usual?

(4 Posts)
MagicGlassesFairy Mon 08-Sep-08 16:21:54

In reception class last year, all children lined up together - this year, in year 1, they have to make 2 lines - boys and girls. The pegs for coats and I think the trays for books are also separate and different colours.
This was usual practice when I was at school (30 years ago) but I thought that schools had moved beyond making gender a child's defining identity. Anybody else have experience of this?

gingernutlover Mon 08-Sep-08 18:46:41

maybe its because the coat pegs are seperate, i assume you mean in the mornings, ie before the put there bits and peices away

MagicGlassesFairy Mon 08-Sep-08 20:24:30

Yes I do mean in the mornings (I think my title makes it look as though I'm talking about washing lines and pegs - now that would be odd!) - I see your logic here - all things inside are separate, therefore lines need to be separate. But why does any of it need to be separate? Can't it just be children, rather than girls and boys?

Littlefish Mon 08-Sep-08 20:40:19

I make a point of not dividing children up by gender. Pegs/drawers etc. tend to be divided up so that I can separate children who do not behave well together wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now