Talk

Advanced search

Summer born children - do they usually start in September?

(21 Posts)
Jacaranda Mon 08-Sep-08 13:53:08

I am moving home to the UK and trying to sort out schools for DD. I have found one I quite like the sound of from their web site, dealing with them and their ofsted report is very good. I have a visit planned in a couple of weeks time.

My DS is due to start next September but he won't be 5 until July 2010. At DD's potential school he will not start full time until the term he turns 5. I think this is a good idea, is this the norm across the UK or differnet depending on LEA?

Boyswillbeboys Mon 08-Sep-08 13:54:57

It varies from area to area, where we live in Central London, most schools have two intakes, so the older children start in september and the summer born children start in January.

MamaG Mon 08-Sep-08 13:55:54

My DD was 4 in August and started the following September.

DS was 4 in March and started the following September

(different years of course!)

I think most childrne start the September following their fourth birthday (so September 2009 for your DS but some schools have a gradual intake and younger ones might start in January - ring the LEA who should advise you

MrsMattie Mon 08-Sep-08 13:57:09

As others said, it varies. My borough are phasing out the two intakes system (Sept and Jan) and just going for a September intake for all children after their 4th birthday

prettybird Mon 08-Sep-08 14:09:54

It's totally different in Scotland. The "age" year runs from March to February. There is no Reception. Children start straght into Primary 1 in August. if they are not yet 5 when school starts, they can choose to defer until the following year, when they will start primary 1 as the oldest, rather than the youngest in the year.

In practice, people start thinking of deferring for children born in November/december and quite a lot of children (epscially) boys seem to be deffered who have birthdays in Janaury/Febraury. Think that the councils will aumtatcially continue to pay the 12.5 hour nursery fees for Janaury/February children, but need a note from the nursery for the "older" chidren to confirm that the nursery alos considered that they weren't ready for school.

LilRedWG Mon 08-Sep-08 14:13:04

DD will be just 4 years and three months when she starts school, as we only have one intake here.

Mercy Mon 08-Sep-08 14:13:30

It does vary - a friend's ds was 4 in July and has started school today (part-time for 3 weeks)

pooka Mon 08-Sep-08 14:15:10

DD has a birthday in July. She started the January after her 4th birthday, because my LEA still has two entries (Sept and Jan).

midnightexpress Mon 08-Sep-08 14:16:56

Mine are still small, but it's miserable isn't it, packing children off to school at barely 4 to sit behind a desk all day (and yes, I know they won't be doing that all day, but institutionalising them so young).

It's depressing.

DartmoorMama Mon 08-Sep-08 14:19:58

Legally its the term after their fifth birthday that they are considered school age but a lot of kids start a term or two before this . But basically it could be sep 2010 if you felt that appropriate or a term or two earlier as you feel right and depending upon the school. My kids will be home educated so I know that there isnt really a norm as such in the UK, depends upon the individual school , there is a trend toward later starts too, as late as 7.

Jacaranda Mon 08-Sep-08 14:57:45

So is it generally thought that starting the term he is 5 is better than starting him the Septmeber before?

My gut feeling is it is a beeter idea but thereis a part of me that is worried he will be behind because he hasn't been to school for as long as Sept/Oct etc children.

He will be in FS1/pre school until he starts school in the summer term.

andiem Mon 08-Sep-08 15:01:52

both of mine are june
ds1 started half days for the first term and went full time in sept we only have one intake
I think this is a good compromise because they get used to school etc but they don't have to do a whole day intially it meant he wasn't left behind in anything and he made some friends

bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 08-Sep-08 15:05:45

in our LEA children born up to 31st August start in September.

islandofsodor Mon 08-Sep-08 15:08:44

In our area they all start in September. Then again children go to full time state school nursery the September after they turn 3 too which I think is too young myself.

DartmoorMama Mon 08-Sep-08 16:42:41

I think you have to make a judgment call based on your son, 4-5 yr olds vary massively. For example I know of 4 yr olds still in nappies and other 4 yr olds who seem like five or six yr olds and really independent.

Hulababy Mon 08-Sep-08 21:43:55

In Sheffield where we are summer born children (anyone born Mar-Aug 31) start January; before March they start September.

I don't like the system personally. DD was more than ready to start in the September; keeping her out until Jan all her friends from nursery were going in Sep) would have been awful. One of the reasons we went private, amongst others.

forevercleaning Mon 08-Sep-08 21:52:07

my ds was 4 in the august and due to start the following month. I postponed entry for a year and he went at 5 and 1 month. still had to go into year 1 but at least i had him at home and in his nursery until i felt he was ready.

Did the same with another one who was 4 in april, he stayed on at nursery for another year and went straight to year 1.

The only thing with this is, they will not hold the place open for you throughout reception which is totally fair, so there is a risk.

You would continue to get the funding for that year when your child remains at nursery even though they are old enough for school.

BigBadMousey Mon 08-Sep-08 22:11:21

Cornwall - DD born May started PT September and will go FT in Jan.

unknownrebelbang Mon 08-Sep-08 23:41:09

DS1 and DS3 both August-born started in the September, full-time.

Clary Wed 10-Sep-08 01:02:40

More and more LEAs have just one intake, so all who are 4 on Aug 31 start that September.

I now think one intake is better (our LEA changed in the middle of my 3 starting and I think DS1 was actually at a disadvantage starting a term later, but I realise there can be several views on this).

I think missing reception is a big mistake; and if he is the only one starting later (myDS1 wasn't of course) it can be very tricky wrt friendship groups and learning etc. I have seen this happen (child who started at our school in January, the only one, really struggled to adjust).

Clary Wed 10-Sep-08 01:03:15

But it can vary and you should check - my LEA with one intake is the city, but the county around it still has two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now