Talk

Advanced search

What would you do about our DCs - school or no school?

(11 Posts)
OneLieIn Sun 07-Sep-08 12:03:14

We are moving -we hoped to move already, this weekend was D-Day, but it hasn't happened. This is because the numpty at the bottom of the chain is having to apply for another mortgage (the one he had applied for he was refused). The chain is rock steady and everyone is relying on him. The delay is now 6 weeks maybe more and the DCs are not in school yet.

They left their previous school in July and have no places at any local school because we thought we were moving. They do have places at the new school in the new town we are moving to which is quite a long way away. So with this delay, we are struggling what to do with them for school. The local LEA has been unbelievably unhelpful, saying that whilst the school is obliged to offer places they don't have to take the kids and we really should not be putting our kids into school for temporary places.

So as I see it there are three choices:
1. New primary for DCs for 6 weeks
2. No school and home ed for 6 weeks.
3. Try and beg the old private school to take them back on a weekly basis (this is highly unlikely)

What would you do?

OneLieIn Sun 07-Sep-08 12:03:50

Oh yes and if the 6 weeks is up, I have said that we must get them into a school ANY school from October half term.

beansprout Sun 07-Sep-08 12:04:37

How old are they? I would probably go for home ed for 6 weeks to keep the disruption to a minimum.

OneLieIn Sun 07-Sep-08 12:04:59

Should be in year 1 and year 3

OneLieIn Sun 07-Sep-08 12:05:01

Should be in year 1 and year 3

Sidge Sun 07-Sep-08 12:05:19

How old are they? That would affect my decision.

Sidge Sun 07-Sep-08 12:09:23

Oh x-posted.

If you are fairly certain that the sale and move will be completed within 6 weeks I would home ed. If that is uncertain I would try to get them into a local school ASAP. If the buyer at the bottom of the chain can't get another mortgage or pulls out your children could potentially be school-less for months, which whilst at their ages isn't a massive problem it's something I would try to avoid.

Sidge Sun 07-Sep-08 12:10:25

Or are you in a financial positon to move into a rented house in your new town and start the children at their new school?

OneLieIn Sun 07-Sep-08 13:56:14

I don't want to move into the new town wihtout being certain that we would move house finally. If the guy at the bottom cannot get a mortgage then its all over anyway and we are effectively staying put.

terramum Sun 07-Sep-08 15:21:45

I would probably ask the new school what things they are covering in the next 6 weeks and home ed.

OneLieIn Sun 07-Sep-08 17:28:09

OK, good advice, thanks. Home ed should be interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now