Talk

Advanced search

What reading level are Enid Blyton books?

(8 Posts)
BosworthBear Thu 04-Sep-08 20:05:31

DD has read the wishing chair series and the Enchanted wood series over the holidays. She is now making her way through Mallory Towers. She has been given her reading book at school today (ORT)with a note that having heard her read the level needs to be increased. How would you compare the EB books on the ORT or similar scale please - anyone got any ideas or views?
Thanks.

VampyTheMuffSlayer Thu 04-Sep-08 20:10:04

How old is she? From memory the Mallory Yowers and St Clares are definitely more advanced than the Enchanted Wood, then Secret 7/Famous 5 a bit further on. I'd prbably got through the lot by the time I was about 10/11 and had moved on to the Chalet School and all sorts of unsuitable things I found under the stairs....

ChasingSquirrels Thu 04-Sep-08 20:24:17

tbh my main thought would be "wtf did they give her that book and a note, why not give her an appropriate book".
agree Enc Wood before MT, but would have said SS after Enc Wood, then MT and FF at a similar level.

BosworthBear Thu 04-Sep-08 20:26:55

DD was 7 in August so a young year 3. She has been given an ORT level 7 which is obviously wrong but wondered how many levels inc I should expect/push for given her out of school reading.

tortoiseshell Thu 04-Sep-08 20:30:29

DS1 is a free reader at school, has been since the beginning of Y2 - tbh, I think once they are reading 'proper' books like Enid Blyton (or in ds1's case, CS Lewis), they don't need ORT, and should be choosing their own books. DS1 hasn't had an ORT since the end of Y1. Dd has just gone into Y1, and is reading ORT8 or 9 easily at home, but couldn't manage Enid Blyton yet.

tortoiseshell Thu 04-Sep-08 20:40:38

(Just read that back, reads horribly like 'my children are so clever' - not meant to be, what I meant to say is, yes, your child should be on a MUCH higher level!)

littlerach Thu 04-Sep-08 20:41:11

Same as Tortoiseshell.
Dd1 was free reader just before the end of yr 1, and stopped ORT books then.

She is 7 and reads Secret Seven and various other adventure EB books.

Think Malory Towers are a bit older.
She's also loved Mrs Pepprpot and some other old books of mine.

bozza Thu 04-Sep-08 20:46:17

Agree with others that EB books are not all at the same level. DS (7 in Feb) reads Secret Seven quite easily. I also agree that really she sounds like a free reader rather than still being on the reading scheme. Sounds like she has really come on over the hols. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now