Talk

Advanced search

Why is the first day at school such a big deal!

(7 Posts)
RedtartanLass Wed 03-Sep-08 10:06:25

I've just got back from dropping DS3 at school, was in complete bits!! Sobbed all the way home.

As I mentioned in another post, I still remember ds1's first day and that was 18 years ago!! I don't remember any of his other milestones like first steps, teeth etc etc but the first day at school is etched on my heart! His first day at uni was also a big day as well, however much more low key grin

Is it just me or do any other mnners feel like this?

nancy75 Wed 03-Sep-08 10:08:39

because it means they really aren't babies anymore sad.
my dd foesnt start until next year, i am dreading it already!

madhairday Wed 03-Sep-08 10:09:23

Yep I feel the same, just dropped ds off. He is my baby so it feels very strange. I cried all the way home. He was fine - happy as anything, it's just me, lol.
No wonder really - it is a big thing. like a milestone of them growing up and becoming independent. No longer needing you so much...sobs

RedtartanLass Wed 03-Sep-08 10:24:27

Poor dd1's first day at nursery as well, that was just a quick "ok bye"

It's the whole wearing a uniform thing about school, they just look too wee!

SorenLorensen Wed 03-Sep-08 10:26:53

Not sure it gets any better - ds2's first day in year 2 today. I didn't cry - but I felt a pang as he went through the door and I'm missing him like mad.

And ds1's first day at secondary school tomorrow...I think I will shed a few (more!) tears over that 'first' too.

ladytophamhatt Wed 03-Sep-08 10:28:25

don't ask WWW, she doesn't knwo either....

<snigger>

RedtartanLass Wed 03-Sep-08 10:32:47

Yes lol at www thread. dh was with ds3, he always regretted not being at ds2's first day in 1991, as he was away on a posting. He made sure he was there for his first day at uni though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now