Talk

Advanced search

Ds1 has no trousers for school on Thursday

(37 Posts)
tortoiseshell Tue 02-Sep-08 20:10:37

So I have just been round our big shopping centre to get ds1 some new trousers - he is 7, and his age 4-5 trousers are too short...

we tried every shop. The closest we got was in M&S, age 6 trousers. Fine for length. But unfortunately they fell off. Literally. The waist was wider than his bottom.

Am going to try Adams tomorrow, but otherwise I am totally stuck and he will have to wear shorts. He is just too thin.

LucyJones Tue 02-Sep-08 20:11:21

sad
that's what happens if you leave it til the last minute grin

tortoiseshell Tue 02-Sep-08 20:11:51

We had to - we had no money left in August. sad

lulumama Tue 02-Sep-08 20:14:03

asda, tesco, matalan and that sort of place, with a belt if necessary

MatNanPlus Tue 02-Sep-08 20:14:17

local seamstress/alterations place could take in at the waist to fit!

Only a little job, 30 minutes tops.

LucyJones Tue 02-Sep-08 20:18:19

sad
woolies and M&S have loads left where we are

MrsWeasley Tue 02-Sep-08 20:19:51

I often have to take DS's trousers in at the waist. just a few stitches at the wasitband.

kormachameleon Tue 02-Sep-08 20:20:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

muggglewump Tue 02-Sep-08 20:23:40

Belt?
I'm assuming you need a certain colour but could you get any colour for the time being untill you can get the right one so long as they fit?
Asda ordered me Gingham dresses from another store earlier this year and they came in two days.
The other shops might do the same if you can find the fit even in the wrong colour

DrGeorge Tue 02-Sep-08 20:26:46

Sainsburys have the ones with the adjustable waists (elastic with buttons). Belts are really hard to find for kids this age - I know from experience last year!

MrsWeasley Tue 02-Sep-08 20:57:02

Please do NOT send your DS to school with a belt on. At schools DCs leave it to the last minute to go or get told to "hang on minute so you dont miss this bit of info".
This combined with a belt is a recipe for an accident.
I've seen it happen

tortoiseshell Tue 02-Sep-08 21:13:40

MrsWeasley, that is precisely why we haven't done belts - he WOULD leave it too late!

I will try Adams tomorrow before panicking - at the worst he can wear shorts for a few more weeks.

I wish he would put some weight on though - would solve a lot of problems!

Dropdeadfred Tue 02-Sep-08 21:15:34

shorts in the rain?

tortoiseshell Tue 02-Sep-08 21:16:24

Better than trousers falling down round your ankles grin

MrsWeasley Tue 02-Sep-08 21:16:53

so glad you arent going down the belt route. We had a lad last year wet himself in assembly becuase he was too scared to ask for the loo! (he was 8)

MrsWeasley Tue 02-Sep-08 21:18:13

shorts in the rain are fine.
children splash in puddles so at least wont have the issue of wet trousers !
grin

Milliways Tue 02-Sep-08 21:18:36

BHS have a slim fit, and we used to use John Lewis as the only ones to fit my skinny DS.

psychomum5 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:20:17

I got some in tesco this morning.....seems my thinking that DS2 had four pairs of trousers was worng....he had shortshmmblush.

he is also too thin for 'normal' trousers, so always needs to have then altered or with the adjusty waist bit.

tesco had some

good luck.

jellybeans Tue 02-Sep-08 21:20:57

Sainsburys adjustable waist are great and very cheap.

crumpet Tue 02-Sep-08 21:24:21

Could you get a piece of black elastic and just stitch it around the inside of the waistband?

Clary Tue 02-Sep-08 22:17:17

Don't M&S ones have adjustable waists?

Anyway shorts are fine till end Sept. Even in the rain. In fact especially smile

islandofsodor Tue 02-Sep-08 22:50:30

Adams do adjustable waists. Ds is in sizw 2-3 clothes and for the last 12 months has been wearing Adams age 3 school trousers with the waist pulled in.

Shorts will be fine in the meantime. Everyone at the dc's school will be wearing shorts/dresses until half term. I was going to send them in winter uniform but don't want them to stand out.

Mutt Tue 02-Sep-08 22:52:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LynetteScavo Tue 02-Sep-08 22:53:54

You need a belt, tortoiseshell.

This morning I put new M&S trousers on DS - he had point blank refused to try them on before. They fell around his ankles. All belts had been binned over the summer holiday as he had been using them as weapons and whipping DS1 with them. hmm

Oh the joy of the first day back.

cargirl Tue 02-Sep-08 22:54:57

have you checked the M&S on line sale, I know it won't help you for Thursday but they may have some suitable stuff?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now