Talk

Advanced search

what are year 2 students in Pre-prep reading?

(3 Posts)
kbd Mon 01-Sep-08 20:26:18

We are outside Britain and returning next fall at year 3. Could someone tell me what kids in London pre-preps might be reading in terms 1 and 2 of year 2? We are preparing for entrance exams.

Anchovy Tue 02-Sep-08 13:46:31

My DS is just going into Year 2 (London pre-prep/prep school). We are reading a lot of Roald Dahl at the moment - currently George's Marvellous Medicine - have just done The Giraffe, the Pelly and Me and The Twits.

His teacher was reading the Twits out loud to the class at the end of year 1, which spraked his interest. He is free reading, and will pretty much tackle anything but that is a reasonably recent development (last half term of year 1) and I know there is a huge range across the class. With books we read at home, we alternate between him reading a bit and us reading a bit, to keep the pace going and help him refocus on what is actually going on. Plus it is nice!

We have also been reading CS Lewis stuff - TLTL&TW, Magician's Nephew and Horse and His Boy down so far. There are a lot of allegorical sections and quite a lot of Empire-style asides which impede the flow of the story a bit, but DS seems to like it.

If you have a DD, I suspect alll quite different stuff.

islandofsodor Tue 02-Sep-08 22:58:21

Dd is just going into year two but we arn't in London.

Her current favourites are The Magic Faraway Tree, Amelia Jane and The Railway Children.

In school they use Oxford reading Tree books for reading. They have been listening to The Phoenix and the Carpet in class.

I doubt whether the entrance tests will be looking for knowledge of particular books. At dd's school they don't have an entrance exam in pre-prep only in prep but I think its based around basic spelling, maths and non verbal and verbal reasoning rather than specific subject knowledge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now