Talk

Advanced search

Please help me understand - why do some schools choose NOT to have uniforms? IMO, they are the way to go ... I'm sure I'm missing something here.

(11 Posts)
greenday Mon 01-Sep-08 17:11:39

IMO, they are more economical, time-saving (to dress your DCs), and there's no competition of who's wearing what. Also, it gives the children a sense of belonging. So why is it some schools choose to be non-uniformed?

There must be a reason but I can't seem to find out what it is. Please put me out of my misery!

Cappuccino Mon 01-Sep-08 17:13:04

you are asking to be kicked in the face

and I think uniforms are a good idea

stillstanding Mon 01-Sep-08 17:13:36

I suspect because of they are encouraging "individuality"? Not sure ... in my book a total crock and uniforms are the way forward.

expatinscotland Mon 01-Sep-08 17:14:19

some people think the government should pay for them.

greenday Mon 01-Sep-08 17:18:16

Yes, I sort of read that thread .. but also read within it that uniforms can be quite cheap too.
My DD is starting in a school without uniform and I wonder why it is so, especially when every parents I speak to seem to prefer uniforms. So, go on ... kick me in the face, as long as it leads me to understand the other side of the fence!

frogs Mon 01-Sep-08 17:21:43

But since so many schools have uniforms, the school is making a statement of being different just by not having one, iyswim.

In our area (north London) the schools that don't have uniform have simply never seen a reason to introduce one (after all most non-church schools were uniform-free until 15 years ago or so). They are generally very sought-after schools in nice areas with a significant number of arty, liberal m/c parents, who like the easy-going but academically succesful vibe. Not having a uniform is part of the ethos, and if the school is successful, there's no demand from either the parents or the staff to change things.

Dd2 was in a school like this for a bit, and there is something very joyful about seeing a playground full of kids in crazy coloured, mis-matched clothing rather than a yardful of grey polyester. DD2's school didn't even have official bookbags -- they had shoe-bag type drawstring bags handmade from random batches of floral/stripy/funky fabric. It was all very cheery, and really grew on me.

Blu Mon 01-Sep-08 17:25:06

No uniforms at DS's primary, and I love it!

No fretting about the 'right' clothes clean, dry and not lost, he can wear colours that suit him, no need to buy clothes which are additional to what he normally wears - and he gets the full wear out of the clothes we do buy, no wearing hideous sweatshirts and teflon trousers, none of the school uniform panic and stress that has descended on many N families, jdging by recent threads...

And as far as I can see, any fuss about what who is wearing evaprates very quickly. A few families send their cjhildren in 'school uniform' clothes - but that's their perogative wihin the system!

greenday Mon 01-Sep-08 17:41:05

I live in North London too - the schools in my area are what you have described. Perhaps that explains why ..

oops Mon 01-Sep-08 17:54:24

Message withdrawn

piratecat Mon 01-Sep-08 17:58:29

I don't like them either, but at least they are cheap. navy this and that, thank god of tesco/asda.

oops Mon 01-Sep-08 19:15:13

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now