Talk

Advanced search

Boys start school tomorrow and I'm so nervous

(13 Posts)
KerryMum Sun 31-Aug-08 11:42:31

for ds2. After the awful witch he had last year he HATES HATES HATES HATES school. For half the year last year I had a fight on my hands EVERY morning just to get him to go to school. He still says he hates school and is NOT going tomorrow.

I don't know what to do. He is getting a new teacher (she was subbing but has been hired to replace someone else) and I hope she is nice but what do I do in the meantime?

He is deaf in one ear and had behavioral problems around that in the second part of the year (that and the teacher's treatment of him) but the audiologist has arranged for the visiting teacher (he works with kids with hearing loss, deafness, sight impaired and blind kids and advocates for them in the schools)to meet with ds2 and myself and the school and sort out his sn but until that happens I'm just nervous.

KerryMum Sun 31-Aug-08 12:45:00

sad

FluffyMummy123 Sun 31-Aug-08 12:45:31

Message withdrawn

fryalot Sun 31-Aug-08 12:47:01

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this year's teacher is way better than last year's

<<<crosses fingers>>>

onwardandupward Sun 31-Aug-08 13:04:09

Don't make him go?

(I don't mean to be pat, I don't know anything about your circumstances, and that might be a really unhelpful remark, so if it is just ignore it)

AMumInScotland Sun 31-Aug-08 13:27:39

What age is he? Can you suggest that he gives it a try for a while, to see how he gets on with the new teacher? It sounds like they are trying to sort things out, so if he can give it a fair try then hopefully it'll resolve ok.

Could you say "let's see how it goes till half-term"? I don't know what other choices you realistically have if he's still not happy by then - are there other schools he could go to, or would home education be an option for you?

KerryMum Sun 31-Aug-08 13:38:34

He is 5, 6 in October..

School not making the effort. I organized visiting teacher with audiologist. I don't know what the disconnect is because they have done a lot for ds1 and his sn and he is 4 years older.

I wish I could cod.

sunnydelight Mon 01-Sep-08 03:38:54

I've read your posts before and it sounds like you have had a total nightmare.

I would try and be as upbeat as possible in front of your son and make a lot of the "new year, new start". You need to start off the year with a positive relationship with the new teacher so personally I would send in a brief note asking for a meeting at a time to suit the teacher rather than catching her at what might be a bad time, then try and outline your concerns without allocating blame to last year's teacher if you can bear it. Could you get her to agree to a home/school notebook so you can communicate briefly daily, that way you can be alert to stuff like your son having had a bad day?

I'm guessing that you are rural so your kids go to the local school? If it really gets bad again is there anywhere else he/they could go?

Litchick Mon 01-Sep-08 07:25:17

Can you HE?

maidamess Mon 01-Sep-08 07:28:08

Sunny's advice is really good. YOU have got to be positive. He will pick up on your mood and your perceptions of his school.

A home school note book is a great idea, so is planning a meeting.

You and the new teacher have got the chance to make a great partnership to make school a place your child really wants to be.

KerryMum Mon 01-Sep-08 10:15:23

well they're off. I got there early and met the new teacher. She's new to the school altogether. She seemed really nice. The classroom is completely spartan (don't they give her a budget for things?) but I got a good feeling from her.

I wrote up a brief outline of ds2's health problems and how they might affect him in the classroom and gave it to her in an envelope along with class fees. I mentioned briefly this morning about him being deaf in one ear (she had NOT been informed by previous teacher as she is supposed to be) and she was a bit concerned as she didn't know what to do but I reassured her. I said I didn't want to take up her time as she was very busy with first day but if she read the info I gave and she could call me at any time with any questions.

I was trying not to monopolize her time this morning but maybe I should have given her more info. I don't know. After last year I've lost my confidence in doing what's right sad

AMumInScotland Mon 01-Sep-08 10:27:51

I think that sounds fine for the first morning - maybe you should arrange a time to go in and chat with her in a few days? By then she'll have had a chance to get to know DS and work out if there's anything she should ask you about, and you can chat a bit more about how his problems affect him and how you deal with that.

Glad you got a good vibe from her anyway - hopefully it'll be a good fresh start for him.

Litchick Tue 02-Sep-08 08:00:27

How did it go, KerryMum?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now