Talk

Advanced search

august birthdays

(10 Posts)
lovemybabes Thu 28-Aug-08 22:27:38

Hello,
My son is an August 30 birthday. So he's three still today, and yet will be starting primary school next week.
He's really excited, but I can't help feeling really emotional about it all. I'm trying not to show him, but he just seems so little.
Does anyone have advice about August boys and primary school? Will he always feel behind?!
Thanks so much

hewlettsdaughter Thu 28-Aug-08 22:30:41

My ds, now 9, has an August birthday. I don't think he has suffered for it (apart from the fact that we don't always manage a party for him!)

Madlentileater Thu 28-Aug-08 22:36:20

DTs (girls) have august birthdays, they were very tired at first, used to crash out on cushions in the afternoon, but long term not an issue.

Tommy Thu 28-Aug-08 22:39:42

my DS2 was 5 yesterday. He has done a year at school - he was 4 and a week when he started. Apart from being really tired, he hasn't been at a disadvantage at all - he is the top set for reading and got a really positive report from his teacher.

I know how you feel though - we got the letter from the LEA about him starting school when he was still 2 shock. Try not to think about the numbers - he will be fine and he'll love school - they all do at this age smile

whatismyname Thu 28-Aug-08 22:41:17

can I ask how you cope with the tiredness ds is just 4 and starting school next week

Tommy Thu 28-Aug-08 22:48:29

mine did afternoons for the first two weeks, then mornings and started full time at the beginning of October. He just used to come in and sit on the sofa with his snuggly cloth and watch telly in a bit of a daze, have his tea and got up for a bath at 6pm. He is usually asleep by 6.45

His teacher was fantastic - he let them have quiet times on their own if they were a bit tired and some of them would go to sleep on the carpet smile

oi Thu 28-Aug-08 22:50:27

and don't be surprised if their behaviour deteriorates at home. Tiredness is awful, especially in the second term I think (when it's still dark and cold...always feels more tiring for some reason).

lol hewletts. I would say the same about dd (august) and parties too!

blithedance Thu 28-Aug-08 22:51:41

Snap, my DS is 3 on Saturday. He seems to approach life with so much gusto that I can't imagine him having any problem with school next year. He knows his numbers and colours already, tends to snatch books out of his older brother's hands!

Getting uniform small enough to fit will be my biggest worry.

Happy Birthday, for Saturday, by the way smile

anniebear Mon 01-Sep-08 21:48:00

My DD was 7 on 31st Aug

5 hrs later and she would be a year below

she was one of the first to go in on her own and has always been above avergae in her work

the age doesnt always matter, depends on the child

anniebear Mon 01-Sep-08 21:50:07

forgot to say she went straight into full days, 2 days after turning 4!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now