Talk

Advanced search

name tags in socks???

(18 Posts)
aaaarrrgh Tue 26-Aug-08 21:56:44

surely not!

What exactly do I have to label?

Am I supposed to provide pencils and stuff for my daughter who is going into reception?

why has noone told me this stuff?

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Aug-08 22:00:53

Oh I don't think you have to do socks. Do they ever take off their socks?

I have asked the pencil question, apparently no, school provides all such implements.

stitch Tue 26-Aug-08 22:01:46

well, i dont know about you, but the socks i buy are cheaper than the name tag. so in the unlikely event that i did sew a name tag in, i would make sure i removed and kept it before chucking the holey sock away.

hercules1 Tue 26-Aug-08 22:02:19

No pencils or anything like that needed. Dont bother labelling socks. Ds (12) has never lost a sock and frankly I'd rather buy another pair once a week than spend hours trying to sew a label in.

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Aug-08 22:03:45

I was meant to be sewing on labels tonight. I have a pile of clothes, and a pile of labels and thread and a needle and scissors and yet...

they do not seem to be all coming together hmm

Waswondering Tue 26-Aug-08 22:04:07

Ds's school requires them to change into indoor shoes - his teacher today (first day!) checked with me first that both his school shoes and indoor shoes were correctly named grin before he changed. I did tell her I hadn't done his socks, but she gave me a twinkly smile and said that was ok, she'd make sure he didn't take them off!!

smile

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 26-Aug-08 22:05:13

Our school expect everything to be marked, but I've never bothered to do socks. It might be helpful to check how the changing for PE is managed - ours put their clothes on their chair and the PE kit is kept in a bag in school. In my experience, it is vital to label anything that might get taken off and mislaid in school. Even then, one sweatshirt vanished from the classroom and was never seen again - grrr!

We don't have to provide pencils. There are pots on the tables.

Why not join the PFA and lobby for a meeting for all new parents before the start of term? It sounds as if there is a need for one!

Tommy Tue 26-Aug-08 22:09:13

I did socks when DS1 started - I ironed them onto the sole of the sock. Complete waste of time as, as far as I am aware in 2 years, DS1 has never taken his socks off at school.

smile

VanillaPumpkin Tue 26-Aug-08 22:09:35

I write on the PE socks in dd's bag but the rest of her socks can take their chances.
If she needs anything they would have told you (ie pencils etc).
It will be OK. I know it is scary. DD1 has done two terms now. I was shocked how quickly we got into the swing of things despite a wobbly start smile.

Bramshott Tue 26-Aug-08 22:11:08

Are they white socks? I wrote DD1's name on the soles of her white socks with laundry marker last year, but I'm not sure I'd do it again as I don't think they take their sock off for PE. I'd do everything else though. Tights there's usually a label so I write on that.

RustyBear Tue 26-Aug-08 22:11:25

Those of you who don't label socks - are you sure your DCs are coming back with the same ones?

I actually did label PFB DS's socks (not having MN at the time to tell me not to bother) I found three socks belonging to his best friend in the washing basket once, though, what with best friend not being a PFB, they were actually labelled with his brother's name....

Seona1973 Tue 26-Aug-08 22:11:48

I used iron on letter transfers for dd's socks - they look cute with her name on. I also used iron on labels for her clothes as I wasnt going to faff about with a needle and thread. I got them from easy2name and got a 10% mumsnet discount.

Takver Tue 26-Aug-08 22:15:52

Does it matter which socks they have - so long as your dd puts on two socks after gym, who cares . . .

RustyBear Wed 27-Aug-08 08:52:04

Well, DS's best friend was rather larger than he was - hadn't seemed to bother DS though that he had yards of extra sock flapping round his toes....

JLo2 Wed 27-Aug-08 18:41:18

I labelled my DS2&3 socks last year with iron one labels just so they were easy to sort in the laundry grin This year they are in the same size socks so as long as they have 5 pairs in their drawer at the beginning of the week it won't matter grin

rubyloopy Mon 01-Sep-08 16:49:36

Message withdrawn

mumtoone Mon 01-Sep-08 21:52:05

I just named 3 pairs of socks as well and I've given up doing any more as my fingers are also very sore. I will take my chances that we don't loose too many.

Tinkjon Wed 03-Sep-08 22:39:23

Socks get taken off at PE but tucked into school shoes - tell them "socksies into shoesies, that way we don't lose-ies"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now