Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Oxfordshire again does anyone know these private schools please?

(12 Posts)
wooflet Sun 24-Aug-08 20:31:55

Hi again

I've posted above with a primary state list but here's a few private ones that may an option too. Is anyone able to comment on any of them - I'd be so grateful for any input.

The Carrdus School

The King's School, Primary

Windrush Valley School

Sibford School

St John's Priory School

Cokethorpe School

thanks

wooflet x

misi Mon 25-Aug-08 15:13:16

can't say I know these schools, sorry. I only know the 'european school' in culham.

fllp Tue 16-Nov-10 13:23:36

I have children at Cokethorpe school. My children feel lucky to be at Cokethorpe and regularly score top marks in their exams.We live miles away so it takes them ages to get there but they absolutely love it and don't complain.

propatria Tue 16-Nov-10 14:59:19

Not really a list of the best schools in Oxfordshire.

santo Mon 22-Nov-10 10:55:37

"sibford School" Having moved my child from the state system into sibford junior school three years ago , I can honestly say it was the best thing ever.My child went from disliking school to loving it .Sibford excells at looking after the needs of each individual- what ever they may be. They have really small class sizes and creative teaching methods. The grounds are amazing and they make full use of it in their out door learning programme.They have a really wide curriculum which gives the children chance to discover what they really enjoy.My son has now moved onto senior school and continues to thrive .In fact, it was brilliant not to have the trauma some kids suffer having to move to senior school.He had friends was already familiar with many teachers and the building.He is now in a tutor group of 12 kids. .Although my child is now in the senior school.I recently attended the opening of the nursery garden -a friendly caring family setting-a wonderful way to start school life.
Sibford does take a percentage of dislexic children and does a brilliant job.However My son is not dislexic, but as a high achiever ,on the gifted and talented register,I honestly feel his needs are catered for on an equally individual basis.Sibford was the best move I ever made and would recommend you take a look round. smile

abittoofat Mon 22-Nov-10 13:42:00

Why those schools inparticular?

Rindercella Wed 24-Nov-10 17:24:52

Hi, I understand that Ann Carrdus is about to leave, so that will be a huge change for the school (I believe her mother was the founder). Lovely school though.

St John's Priory is also going through huge change. I believe the head has recently been sacked. The present owners bought it a few years ago and were previously financiers hmm

Sibford is lovely, it has a great ethos (Quaker). Set in 50 acres of rolling Oxfordshire countryside. Although they are not in the top league tables, they are largely 'comprehensive' in their intake and therefore their exam results are pretty excellent, especially given that approximately 30% of their pupils have SEN.

Don't know The Kings, Windrush or Cokethorpe.

propatria, perhaps the OP is looking for something more than purely exam excellence when making her decision? And perhaps she doesn't want her child to be commuting several hours a day to get to one of the supposedly better Oxon preps? hmm

I take it that you are in the Banbury area (or planning to move there?).

MollieO Wed 24-Nov-10 17:28:26

I'm sure the OP has made up her mind considering this thread is over two years old!!

MummyMyfanwy Wed 24-Nov-10 17:30:12

We looked at Windrush a few years ago. Our DC ended up going to the pre pret at Hatherop castle some miles away instead.

Nothing wrong with it. It (was not sure now) a small primary school set in what was the old village school. The classes were a nice small size (but not too small) from what I recall. The school had a nice atmosphere but the lack of onsite playing fields and facilities made us choose somewhere else.

I dont know what the fees are like in comparison to other schools but I recall thinking back then they were lower than alot of other schools.

MummyMyfanwy Wed 24-Nov-10 17:31:42

Ooops - didnt notice that MollieO! Wonder where Wooflet plumped for in the end?

Rindercella Wed 24-Nov-10 17:35:43

Ooops!!

aim1ee Thu 29-Jan-15 10:15:27

Do read the new posting about Sibford.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: