Talk

Advanced search

So, 1st day at school - is your DH/DP going with you to wave off your DC at school gate?

(14 Posts)
Flier Tue 19-Aug-08 07:57:37

?

MmeLindt Tue 19-Aug-08 08:00:52

Very first day of school, we had a church service and then a show at the school that DH went with us to. He sloped of to work after that. He was not there on the second day (when DD actually went to her school class the first time)

GooseyLoosey Tue 19-Aug-08 08:07:03

Yes. He was there for ds and will be there for dd. After that we have to take it in turns to have time off to cope with the ridiculous month of half days!

ForeverOptimistic Tue 19-Aug-08 08:46:16

No. I felt really mean when ds started nursery because nearly all of the children had both parents there, it was a nightmare because you couldn't actually get to the door through the mass of people! I want ds's routine to be as normal as possible for him and that will be me taking him to school, I don't want him to think that a "fuss" is being made.

bellavita Tue 19-Aug-08 08:53:59

DH came to walked to school with us on the first day for both DS's and then went off to work.

mankyscotslass Tue 19-Aug-08 08:54:41

No, DH's work won't let him start later that day, even though he would have worked on.
He never went to Ds's first day either, for the same reason.
TBH from the last time there was only 50% of children have both parents there, and even that made it a scrum for the kids. It was very busy/nosiy/confusing!

wessexgirl Tue 19-Aug-08 08:55:13

No. Dd1's first half day in reception starts at 1.30 p.m., so he'll be at work.

Romy7 Tue 19-Aug-08 08:55:18

nah.
didn't with the first two, can't see why he would this time.
think he might be away with work anyway...

Weegiemum Tue 19-Aug-08 08:58:53

My dd2 started yesterday.

We don't have a "school gate" as kids all go on the bus, but he was up and alert (amazing on his day off) to say goodbye.

He had taken the day off as we were taking her out for a "grown up" lunch, we met her at school and took her out. We had done this for the others on their first day too.

There weren't very many men at the door to pick them up, tbh. Mainly Mums and Grannies!

hercules1 Tue 19-Aug-08 09:00:13

Yes, but I wont be there just like when ds started school.

Chocolateteapot Tue 19-Aug-08 09:01:55

No, he will be taking DD for her first day at middle school whilst I take DS for his first day at first school.

Heifer Tue 19-Aug-08 09:19:57

TBH never even thought about it.

I think because my DD has been to the nursery which is attached to the school a couple of days a week anyway and they even have the same uniform, it doesn't feel such a big deal. Which is a shame really..

I think I will ask DH if he wants to come with us...

sarah293 Tue 19-Aug-08 09:21:01

Message withdrawn

gegs73 Tue 19-Aug-08 13:04:31

Yes, DH works flexitime which means he can just work late.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now