Talk

Advanced search

school shoes

(14 Posts)
sunrays Mon 11-Aug-08 15:40:15

Until now my DS has only had one pair of shoes ( and sandals in summer and wellies). What do most people do when they start school? Do you buy school shoes and keep them just for school and have a second pair for kicking round out of school? Trainers maybe? Sounds pricy

Reginaphilangy Mon 11-Aug-08 15:45:30

My dd's have school shoes specifically for school which they don't wear at other times, and 'best' shoes for other use.

They also have trainers and wellies.

It is a dear do ...i empathise.

TheGirlWithGreenEyes Mon 11-Aug-08 15:53:12

I try to get trainers and sandals in the sales - obviously you can't really put off buying school shoes until sale time if they have outgrown them.... There have been times when mine have only had school shoes and it hasn't scarred them for life!

savoycabbage Mon 11-Aug-08 15:54:32

I am having school shoes and doodle-type shoes for weekends. And wellies.

Weegiemum Mon 11-Aug-08 20:03:18

We have:

School shoes. Also used for best
Trainers. Also used for gym at school
Wellies._
_Gutties
(as known here). Black gym shoes, which the children use as 'slippers' in the classroom. Therefore school shoes don't get as trashed as might. But ds still goes through twice as many school shoes as his sister.

My tip - the Clarks seconds shop/factory shop. Saves a lot when you are buying school shoes for 3 kids!

Clary Tue 12-Aug-08 00:30:06

We (reluctantly) have trainers as well as school shoes.

Like you, we only had one pair of shoes before.

But tbh, it's not just that school shoes need to look decent, plus their feet don't grow so much (not unusual for DS1 at 9 to have the same pair for 8 mo or more); you also find that a lot of out of school activities need trainers - eg football, gym club, dance club, summer holiday activity club, Beavers, Brownies etc. Black school shoes just not suitable.

Yes you need a Clarks outlet selling last year's styles for £15-20.

sunrays Tue 12-Aug-08 08:43:29

does anyone know where clarks factory shops are? I'm in derbyshire

madamy Tue 12-Aug-08 08:46:56

There's a Clarks outlet at Macarthur Glen near Mansfield. It's about 1 mile off the M1 junct 28 on the A38 into Mansfield.

sunrays Tue 12-Aug-08 08:50:22

ooh thanks

newpup Tue 12-Aug-08 09:29:01

My DDs have school shoes, just for school.

and
A pair of boots or sandals ( depending on time of year) for outside school

trainers ( needed for tennis, Brownies, Rainbows and school trips)

Wellies ( a pair to keep at school and a pair for home)

Plus tap, ballet and Irish dance shoes.

Expensive business these shoes!!grin

bigTillyMint Tue 12-Aug-08 13:45:47

I advise that your DC always have at least 2 suitable pairs of shoes / trainers that fit in case of emergency - My DS got his school trainers extremely wet and muddy once, and when we tried on the old ones, they were WAY too small, and he had to hobble to school and chang into plimsolls - only other shoes that fitted (BAD mother moment!)

paddingtonbear1 Tue 12-Aug-08 14:13:15

dd has one pair of school shoes. This time I got them from TKMaxx, can't remember the make, but they look like Hush puppies.
She also has 1 pair sandals/crocs for summer, other shoes/boots for winter, trainers and wellies.
Her feet don't grow very fast so we get a fair bit of wear out of them

paddingtonbear1 Tue 12-Aug-08 14:13:58

dd has one pair of school shoes. This time I got them from TKMaxx, can't remember the make, but they look like Hush puppies.
She also has 1 pair sandals/crocs for summer, other shoes/boots for winter, trainers and wellies.
Her feet don't grow very fast so we get a fair bit of wear out of them

AvenaLife Tue 12-Aug-08 14:15:30

ds has one pair of shoes for school, one pair of trainers for PE, one pair of football boots and one pair of trainers for home. I have to replace these every few months as he has flat feet and his shoes become bent over at the back. It isn't cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now